Need a keyboard protector for june 09 mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ri0ku, Oct 11, 2009.

1. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Like the title says I need a keyboard cover for a june 09 uMPB 15 inch and i found what i think is the right thing here on ebay (UK)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-MacBook-P...ries?hash=item53d86b7259&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

Only thing is.. in that image the keyboard looks different to my mpb for example the enter key on mine is a slim almost vertical shape.. and on that image is seems to me like a regular rectangular shaped one.

2. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

The MBP 'breathes' through the keyboard. I would not advise any protector esp when you consider the spoilt badboy aesthetics.

3. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Wtf is with calling computers "bad boys"?

Are they human beings? No.

Have they misbehaved? No.

Are you a 38 year old woman trying to seduce a young man? I hope not.

So PLEASE, Shambo... STOP CALLING YOUR 15" MBP A "BAD BOY" FOR GOODNESS SAKE!

4. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know that so I was thinking about putting some wholes in the cover under the key sides. But its important as I dont want the keyboard to get all oiled up and shiny. I like to keep things clean and look like new (I know thats sad.. but when you spend allot of money on something its worth looking after)

5. ssdar macrumors member

i Have Moshi Clearguard and have zero problems with overheating.
    Works perfect for me.

6. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

I'll admit that I have a complex about wearing and degrading the finish of the keyboard and trackpad too. This was the problem for my penultimate MBP, which I found to be annoying to look at.

I think a great way to extend the appearance and feel of the keyboard and trackpad looking new, without adding any unsightly accessories, is to use a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse.

For me I typically use my MBP at home, so it isn't awkward when using these bluetooth devices. On the occasions that I am in class or on-the-go, slight use of the actual keyboard and trackpad is acceptable to my standards.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I've been using the iSkin keyboard cover on my Macbook Air and Macbook Pro. The heat dissipates from the rear vents, very little air escapes from the keyboard. I keep my iSkin on all the time, I only remove it to wash it.

I would not recommend the one on Ebay or the Moshi Clearguard. The one on Ebay makes it difficult to see your keyboard. The Moshi gets cloudy from the permanent grease marks, you'll end up throwing it out. Get the iSkin. It has the same color as the MBP keyboard with printed keys. The latest model allows for the backlit keyboard to show through.
    http://www.iskin.com/protouch_macbook/fx_features.html#continue

8. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Take your skin off turn the fans up and put your hand over the keys then tell us all the Macbook breathes through the rear vents.

9. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Nonsense. Why does it work in clamshell mode?

10. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

I never said it wouldn't work. :confused:

11. vant macrumors 65816

It works in clamshell mode, doesn't mean it's thermally happy.

There are threads all over complaining about the heat being turned up a notch by using keyboard protectors or clamshell mode.

Here are the facts:

Keyboard protectors insulate the keyboard area. This area has passive heat rising out of it naturally when the fans are low. By preventing this passive heat to rise out of the keyboard area, you increase your temperatures. You also reduce the surface area of the aluminum available to ambient air.

12. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

PLEASE! I couldn't agree more.

13. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

+1. works great, easy to clean, very thin, and almost invisible when on the keyboard.

14. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

That's because it's a US keyboard pictured, not a UK one.

Also, I can vouch for the moshi getting awfully cloudy. I prefer iSkin.

15. Wolf103FM macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

i originally bought the marware keyboard cover sold at the Apple store, and immediately took that piece of crap back, and ordered one from kbcovers.com and couldn't have been happier

16. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

Hows the iSkin treating you? Does the LED backlight show good? I like the black skin...
    I am looking into buying a keyboard skin and of course I checked eBay for some cheap ones but I have no idea how good there are? I guess I can spend a few dollars and try but if anyone has feedback on other types of skins, plz comment!

17. AaronX macrumors member

I'm using the Exoskin, which I got for about $15 AUD xskn.com. What I don't like is it's only slightly bigger than the keyboard, so it doesn't stick well around the edges. Not sure how good it is against spills.