Need a Laptop Backpack for College.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Link2999, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Expanding on Passenger88's thread, I need a laptop backpack for college. I'm almost sure I'd rather have a backpack than a bag, but I guess a bag could work if it would provide a lot more protection. For the backpack I was thinking I'd also buy some kind of sleeve to provide further protection, but there may be some backpacks that already provide a good amount of it (doesn't allow for scratches). Anyways at the moment I'm assuming $200 is the budget I'd like to stay in (just because I'm dropping 2.5k on a new MBP). Also the MBP is a 15".

Edit: Should be able to hold my school stuff too, no point in having 2 backpacks.

2. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i have a northface surge that i used with my 17inch .. but since sold that mbp and bought a 15 and i am searching for a new bag .. was very interested in getting a messenger style bag that could hold my laptop plus a textbook or 2 .. i dont want something huge either

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

4. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

BBP looks the best so far, I'm expecting to be carrying at least 30lbs on my back so the padding is a must, and as far as I can tell the Tom Bihns don't have any or very little. I like the STM design and the extra compartments, but it only seems that I can fit maybe a notebook (lined paper) in there aside from the computer. Like I said I'm expecting to be carrying maybe 2 pretty decent sized books and supplies with me all day.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

30 Pounds? That's quite a bit. I prefer the BBP. The STM bag can fit quite a bit in its pocket, I'm not sure about the medium, but the large could easily fit my HP portable printer. The BBP is definitely the most comfortable of the three.

6. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

30 pounds? Wow what the heck are you carrying?
    MBPs are like 5 pounds MAX, I think they might be like 4 or 3.5

If you are going with 30, I recommend some sort of load bearing pack. Google, OE Tech 3-Day Assault pack, it's big. I can hold 2 xbox 360's a laptop and 3 days of clothes lol.

A tac/military style bag might be good.

Also
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5624
    That's a sick bag, they padded the hell out of the laptop compartment, holds a TON of stuff, I'm probably ditching my small tan Assault Backpack and going with one of those. Ballistic nylon for under $100. Screw Codura..
    Actually it's like 70 now, looks really heavy duty.

I'm at the point where I'm probably going to make my own. I want MOLLE webbing all over the bag, and the nice big padded straps from my huge bag, with a super cushoned laptop section, with a pad in the BOTTOM of the bag, for when I have delicate stuff and I set the bag down. And those really thick zippers, like half an inch wide, not these little bitty ones. Big chunky plastic zippers.

7. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

Right now in Senior Year my backpack weighs about 30lbs so I'm expecting about the same for College. I'm carrying around 2-3 5-8lbs books everyday along with 4 maybe 5 notebooks (some smaller than others), a lunch, and various supplies and scrap papers. My backpack at the moment (a Swiss) weighs quite a bit alone so it contributes to the weight (maybe another 6-8lbs).

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

College might change that.
    1. If you close to the classrooms, you might only carry around that material and your classes should be more spread out allowing for you to go back and forth if it's convenient
    2. A lot of classes won't require you to bring a textbook and the use of textbooks will be a lot less depending on your major

That still is a lot of weight.