Need a Laptop for Video Editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lucbert, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

Hey
    I need to buy a new Laptop for video editing.
    The programmes I use the most are Photoshop CS4 and Premiere 7.
    I really want a Mac but I just bought the Pc versions of the two programmes. As you know they are both very expensive.
    Do you think buying a Mac is a good idea?
    I have 1400 $ to spend.

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Normally, I would say no. In fact, I almost did. But, because the new generation of Macbook Pros just came out, there are brilliant deals on the old models in the Apple.com refurb store. A previous-gen MBP, with Windows installed under Bootcamp, would do an awesome job of running Premier. I do think it's kind of a shame to have a Mac for video editing and not run Final Cut, but...

I'm honestly not sure if there's a Windows laptop for $1400 that would rival the last-gen MBP in power... they're pretty good value right now.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Adobe does cross-platform liscensing. Look into that.
    As for hardware, I've heard you can get a last-gen top of the line MBP (15") for $1400.

4. frozenlead macrumors newbie

Adobe's CS4 suite is not available for Mac OS X. If you get the Mac, you'll get lesser hardware for the same price - and you'll need to purchase Windows to run your programs you just bought.

5. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

6. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

As Geoffreak said, look into the last-gen MBPs. They are really powerful and have the best bang for the buck. Plus, you can look for matte screens instead of having those new MBPs glossy screens.