Need a laptop to run protools/MIDI sound produtcion

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Snowman3645, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Snowman3645 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

So I am more of a car guy than a tech guy but that is bound to change here pretty soon since I just enrolled into a 2 year sound production program.

I'm SURE I want a laptop that is going to last me the entire program assuming I don't get upset and break it :)

My question is this:

Taking into account cost, reliability and opperating speed+power.... Would it be better to find a used/sub-par macbook and put the right parts into it or just blow my life savings on a notebook from the istore and be confident it will work? I'm a doityourselfer and if I could get my hands on all the parts would it be worth the trouble?

This is what I would LIKE to have:
    17" screen
    300+ HD
    3-4 GB RAM
    Prettymuch something with the specs of the new macbook pro is what a lot of people are suggesting I get.

I have about $2,000 to spend. What can I get retail and what can I get custom built for that amount?

Thank you very much for your advice! You may very well save my career :)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

At that price point you'd have to go refurb or older generation

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    17-inch glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    320GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera
    Illuminated keyboard
    $1949.00 on the Refurb Store

*I just linked to the refurb store as things change quickly...

And I apologize, for not responding quicker ;)

3. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

I just ordered that model and it came yesterday. It's the first Mac I've bought where I said, "That's my computer" as soon as I opened it. I've got Airs and iMacs, which I really like, but the 17" unibody is just a gorgeous machine.

I will run Pro Tools and Reason on it, with an external HD and an Mbox 2 and on occasion an 002. So far it's my favorite Mac that I've owned.