Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone out there is using a larger controller than the Dual Shock 3 that comes with the PS3.

I find the PS3 controller to be tiny and hard to hold, where as my XBOX 360's is perfect.

So is there a controller similar to the 360's available for the PS3?

Anyone else find the PS3's far too small?

Cheers, T

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
The PS3 controller is just too awkward, I have a feeling that even if you get a larger one it still won't feel right, especially if you play any games that use its motion sensing capabilities. Talk about carpal tunnel.

iwuzbord

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
New York City
i agree completely!
not being an owner of the PS3 myself, when playing at a friends' house or what not, they always have seemed very small, where as my xbox controllers are perfect.
i dont know where you can find a larger one controller, but you arent alone on the size issue.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
The PS3 controller is just too awkward, I have a feeling that even if you get a larger one it still won't feel right, especially if you play any games that use its motion sensing capabilities. Talk about carpal tunnel.

Heavier is fine.

I'm not all too interested in motion sensing games as I have a Wii for that.

I had carpal tunnel and tenosynovitis for most my teenage years so my wrists are pretty sensitive BUT they have NEVER been bothered by my 360 controllers. Not once. It's the width and length of where you hold your hands that affect wrist issues. The PS3's are short and at a worse angle which makes my hands start to get tingly.

It's a shame cus I really like the PS3, it's a slick machine. Just need to find a bigger controller. Someone, hunt a chunky one down PLEASE :D

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Heavier is fine.

I'm not all too interested in motion sensing games as I have a Wii for that.

I had carpal tunnel and tenosynovitis for most my teenage years so my wrists are pretty sensitive BUT they have NEVER been bothered by my 360 controllers. Not once. It's the width and length of where you hold your hands that affect wrist issues. The PS3's are short and at a worse angle which makes my hands start to get tingly.

It's a shame cus I really like the PS3, it's a slick machine. Just need to find a bigger controller. Someone, hunt a chunky one down PLEASE :D

I don't think the size is the only issue, it's the ergonomics of the controller.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
I agree totally about the ergonomics. I think that's what I was getting at with the angle. They put a lot more thought into the design on a comfort level.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Well..he said "Heavier is fine". Anyway. Hehe, that thing looks sweet.

Yeah, that means weight isn't much of an issue. That's like me saying, "I'm looking for a miniature horse, I don't care what color it is"
and you reply, "you could always just paint the horse you already have"

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
That ChillStream is pretty sweet. I wouldn't need the fan part of it, but it certainly looks way more comfortable. I'm going to see if I can get one in my hands before I buy it and see how it feels. Till then, the hunt continues!

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Yep. The PS controllers are and always have been complete pants designed for people with tiny hands. The trigger buttons are plain impossible to use.

I have big hands and I have no trouble using Playstation controllers. Although I don't play on it much and I've never played XBox, so I have nothing to compare too.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So I must be the only one that thinks the X-Box controller is a big fail?

No the Xbox controller orginal was a giant monstrosity, and the later revised Jap version was a tad better but still a bit of a fail..

However the XBOX 360 Controller is near perfection in my eyes and many others. The only thing bad about it and slightly rectified in a recent revision was the D-PAD. Other than that it was ergonomically perfect, especially for console FPS's and other shooters...

The PS3 controller original was too light. The DS3 is much better, however the triggers are pants and for me the thumbsticks are too close together to be comfortable over extended play hours.

The best revision of the dual shock was the Logitech Wireless version, which was near perfection in comparison to the original version, and I hope they eventually bring out a PS3 version.

3491.gif

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Yep. The PS controllers are and always have been complete pants designed for people with tiny hands. The trigger buttons are plain impossible to use.

I find the PS controller just as comfortable as the rest. The trigger buttons are a little soft but nothing too harmful.

The PS controller IMO has been the best designed controller for the past ten years...the X360 controller is the only one I find in the same class as the DS.

Bless

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
I find the PS controller just as comfortable as the rest. The trigger buttons are a little soft but nothing too harmful.

The PS controller IMO has been the best designed controller for the past ten years...the X360 controller is the only one I find in the same class as the DS.

Bless

Wow, someone else who actually thinks that the PS controllers are ok :p.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
From what I've seen the 360 controller seems to age the quickest. I take good care of my electronics and such and even the analogue sticks on mine are getting a bit wobbly. My cousin's japan launch Sixaxis still feels new, ditto for my PSP's analogue nub. *shrug*

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I have thin and long hands and the PS controller feels much more comfortable to me, I've been playing DMC4 with the 360 controller for a few months now and while it's great the closer button placement and more compact design of the PS controller makes it "faster" for this kind of games.

Also, the Dual Shock 3 feels great! (the SixAxis was too light indeed) my PS3 is finally arriving on Monday and I've been playing my PS2 in anticipation, I'm just a fan of geometric shapes for button labels and the analog sticks feel great for 3rd person games (like Ratchet & Clank/Devil May Cry, etc).

The 360's sticks are better for shooters but I don't play shooters with gamepads so the PS3's controller is right up my alley.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
The 360's sticks are better for shooters but I don't play shooters with gamepads so the PS3's controller is right up my alley.

Pretty much all I play are shooters and that's what I find tough with the controllers. I feel like they are going to slip out of my hands half the time!

I also find the triggers quite slippery, they should have made them curve in, rather than out, so your finger went in the groove.

Stepper

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2008
North London, England
I've plaed COD4 for 20+ DAYS on a PS3 using a DS3/SixAxis...longest i've probably played for is like 5 hours, my fingers/hands weren't hurting or anthing. PS3 controllers are the best controllers IMO...then again I've only ever owned a PS (excluding mega drives etc)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.