Need a little help. (files from windows to Mac)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Busymom23, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Busymom23 macrumors member

I got my first iMac in June.

I have a huge number of files I want to copy from a windows computer to my iMac. To get them all on one disk, it will require a DVD. I have had no luck getting the iMac to "see" the DVD with the files.

What am I doing wrong?

2. esmith macrumors member

If you have them on the same network you could share the files, a little more complicated to explain but you could google it.

What about a flash drive or external hard drive?

3. Spike88, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

As suggestion...

One can purchase an external HDD. For example, 1 TB Passport.
    Connect this external HDD to the Win/PC system using USB port.
    On the Win/PC machine, format the external drive as Win-NTFS. By default, it might already be properly formatted for Win/PC format.
    Manually copy the Win/PC files to the external HDD. Before copying files, decide which files to keep and which files to leave behind.
    -----
    Connect external HDD (loaded with kept files) to the iMac using USB or FW Port (depending on the port types on the external HDD).
    Copy files from HDD to the iMac (into a new DATA folder or ???? folder) on the iMac system.
    Compare before and after files names - to ensure all files copied over.
    -------
    While external HDD is connected to iMac (usb or FW port), use iMac Disk Utility and re-format the external HDD. Format as Native MacOSX format (or what every its called).
    While external HDD remains connected, configure iMac's Time Machine to "auto backup" the internal HDD to external HDD (that you just formatted.

In the end, one moved the "kept" files to the iMac and created local auto-backup configuration as well. 2 tasks completed with simple low cost external HDD drive. If wondering, this process worked for my iMac system….

Hope this helps…

4. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I second using an external HDD to move the files. Then keep it for backups. Drives are so cheap nowadays that everyone should have one for backups.

It is a life saver if you ever have a failure or need to recover an accidentally deleted file.
    Plus Time Machine makes it so simple an painless.

5. dancook99 macrumors member

No hardware alternative

Assuming both iMac and Windows machine are on your network, download TeamViewer on both machines, then file tranfer. Bonus, you can control either one from the other, iPhone, iPad too.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

TeamViewer would work if the Mac and Windows computers are 1000 miles apart, assuming both had internet connections. They don't have to be on the same network.

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The suggestions to date are good. I would completely abandon the idea of writing the data to optical media. If in fact it fits on a DVD... it really is a very small volume of data, and viable to move electronically over your network... or over the internet.

One thing to consider is getting dropbox, which is one of the most useful programs ever invented IMHO. Install it on both your windows and Mac... and you can simply drag the files into the dropbox folder on your PC... and then drag them out of the folder on your Mac.

Dropbox is extremely valuable for everyday use once you complete your data migration as well. I use it all the time to share files (usually pictures and videos) between family members and friends.

The 2GB version is free... and is often sufficient for most people. Even if your data is greater than 2GB... you can move it in a couple of smaller transfers. If you have a friend using dropbox already, have them send you a link and you will both get a slightly larger capacity (I think 2.25 GB). If you do not know anyone using dropbox already, you can use this link and I'll get the little bump.

http://db.tt/lNvCYnp

Seriously... dropbox is probably the best free service on the internet and you are likely to wonder how you ever got by without it.

/Jim

8. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi Spike88,
    "On the Win/PC machine, format the external drive as Win-NTFS"

This will become "you can only read" HD for Mac OS unless you'd use some kind of "NTFS for Mac" extension..
    But if you format it 'FAT32' then you can use it on both Mac & winOS...

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... except FAT32 has a maximum file size limitation of 4GB. NTFS doesn't.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended)
    • Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
    • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! backups of Mac internal hard drive.
      [*]To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
      [*]To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
    • Maximum file size: 8EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 8EiB
    exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB