Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I've got a iPAD 4 with original charger/cable but i need a longer cable about 2-3 metres.

Can anyone recommend a decent reliable cable or are they all the same off eBay ?

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Any USB A female to male extension cable, can be used in series to make your Lightning cable longer.

I would not buy any old random ebay Lightning cable.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Any USB A female to male extension cable, can be used in series to make your Lightning cable longer.

I would not buy any old random ebay Lightning cable.

I use a USB extension with my iPhone and iPad, it works just fine.

bpbatch

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2010
••this post has been deleted by the author***

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Agreed. In fact, I wouldn't buy one from Amazon or any other online retailer but Apple. My stepson just bought a cheap-o cable online and it wouldn't charge a single lightning product we had. Buyer beware.
The AmazonBasics cables are Apple-certified. I've got a bunch of the 6-ft ones and they work just fine. Unfortunately, I have no idea if there are any Apple-certified cables that are 2-3 meters in length.

don55

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2013
I've got a iPAD 4 with original charger/cable but i need a longer cable about 2-3 metres.

Can anyone recommend a decent reliable cable or are they all the same off eBay ?

Check monoprice.com Apple certified I have their 3 meter and never had a problem.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
The AmazonBasics cables are Apple-certified. I've got a bunch of the 6-ft ones and they work just fine. Unfortunately, I have no idea if there are any Apple-certified cables that are 2-3 meters in length.
I second the AmazonBasics Lightning cables. I also have their 6' cable and it's very solidly-built. Amazon builds them at 3' and 1.5' as well, so if 6' is too long then there are other options. Their cables are also cheaply priced, as far as Lightning cables go.

merrazu

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2013
Griffin makes a 3 meter one that I use. Works great. I've seen them at Best Buy and Target.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I'd just get an extension from someone like Monoprice. Never bought one of their Lightning Cables, but I have used other cables of theirs, no problems.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
No no no. Do not extend the USB side. Extent the mains side. You can do this for a few bucks. You don't even need an apple cable really if you want to do it cheap see below ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 123

The.Dude

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2013
I dont want a big bulky thing !!

My bed butts up against the wall that has my two closest outlets, so I have to use extensions for whatever devices I keep on my nightstand (usually my iPad Air and my Nexus 5). I got two of these and I haven't had an issue with any of my devices - http://amzn.to/NI22mz

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
I bought a 3 meter griffin cable from target one week ago. It is thicker and stiffer than an apple cable, but so far works just fine.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone

You always could buy an extension cord for $3 bucks and plug the charger and short cable in nearer where you want to charge. Extension cords only need UL approval not Apple certified.

orleanfyrfightr

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
I currently use USB extensions for both my iPhone 5 and iPad 2. They were cheap and work, but it causes the iPad to charge noticibles slower. I am going to get one by Tech Armor, they seem to have great reviews and the price is good.

Tech Armor Apple Certified Lighting Cable - 6 Feet- White - Lightning Cable - Sync and Charge iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5th Gen
http://amzn.com/B00DZ0J74W

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I currently use USB extensions for both my iPhone 5 and iPad 2. They were cheap and work, but it causes the iPad to charge noticibles slower. I am going to get one by Tech Armor, they seem to have great reviews and the price is good.

Tech Armor Apple Certified Lighting Cable - 6 Feet- White - Lightning Cable - Sync and Charge iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5th Gen

http://amzn.com/B00DZ0J74W

That most helpful review is mine:) (By Zachary S.)
I have 3 of them and love them. Best lightning cables I have.

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
Do longer lightning cables take longer to charge the iPad 4? I know the iPad 4 needs much power and uses a gigantic (original) power charger.

Cwarwick2

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2014
Sub extension cable

Think outside the box - extend the power lead. I'm doing that at this moment and it's working as Apple intended

RByers8252

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Just mentioned in another thread. Awesomecables.com has some good ones. I have two of the 6 foot braided cables and they are very durable and feel like a quality product. They also just released a 10foot cable.

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
I would just go to amazon and the the one that has the most 5 star reviews. (like over a thousand) and not a lot of negative ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.