Need a Mac, but need A LOT of help

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nick2, Nov 5, 2011.

1. nick2, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

nick2 macrumors newbie

nick2

I have had it with windows and love how apple works, mom has the ipad2 and I have an iphone 4. I need help on which mac to get, as I am literally torn on what to get, I have until December 10th. I have saved over $600 and my parents have agreed to pay the rest. Anything over that price i'll need to give more money, I can roughly give about 300 more. I am open to all suggestions and I have no idea on what case to get, if I need apple care, and how to transfer all my files. I need a detailed plan on what mac to get, I can order off whatever site or store I need to. I will personally thank you for your ideas. Worth nothing is that I am student who would do the following: Flight simulator X, music library 6 GB, some videos, and browsing + web browsing.
    Thanks for the help!
    Your latest convert :p
    EDIT: I HAVE SAVED OVER 600 AND PARENTS ARE WILLING TO PAY UP TO 1199. ANYTHING OVER 1199 I WILL HAVE TO PICK UP, I COULD SPEND 300 AFTER THE 1199.

2. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Assuming you already own a keyboard and a display, you may get a MacMini. Its easy to upgrade and is the cheapest Mac.

If you happen to be unsatisfied with your current display, you may get an iMac, its 22" 1080P LED

Either way, no matter what mac you get, GET A MAGIC MOUSE. Your mac experience will not be complete otherwise. (the imac already has one included)

Usually, the best place to buy a mac is amazon.com (I assume you live in USA)

I dont use applecare, dont miss it.

3. newdeal macrumors 68020

Get the refurbished 13" macbook pro. Its the best deal and the most future proof as you can upgrade it later. Dont worry about applecare, if you decide you want it you can add it at any time before the original 1 year warranty expires.

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

You have a 900-1000 budget that will get you:
    - a mac mini
    - a refurbished iMac
    - a refurbsished MBP

5. nick2 thread starter macrumors newbie

nick2

I have saved 600 and parents are willing to pay 600. Anything over 1199 I will have to pay. I can save until Christmas another 300, totaling my money at about 1500.

6. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

iMac, you will love it!!

:apple:

7. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

I would suggest the MBA, but for 1199 you can only get the 11" unless maybe on the refurb store you can find one...
    If the 11" is too small and you can't/don't buy the 13" I would for a MacBook pro.

8. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

Wait...

Wait until you have the $1,500. Use the time between now and Xmas to figure out if you want a laptop or desktop machine and what accessories you want to go with your big purchase. If you don't have much cash left over from the $1,500, it will be Xmas time, so you could use the extra Xmas cash from family to supplement (or ask for things out right). :D

Edit: Err...sorry, December 10th, I guess...regardless, I'd try and save up the $,1500 to get as much as I possibly can with the purchase.

9. nick2 thread starter macrumors newbie

nick2

Mom and Dad Said I get a case and whatever needed case. But any other required software is all me! I definetly need a laptop though.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

a refurbished MBP 13 from Apple ... it is the best deal :apple:

11. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

Get the 11" MacBook Air... THE best move you could ever make. That, I promise you. Make sure you get the 4GB of RAM though.. :D

12. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

Are you able to do any financing through Apple? Zero interest if you pay it off in the first year and make all your payments. Pay the $1200 off on the first bill then you've got 11 months to pay off the remaining $300 - $500.

13. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

Good idea! :D

14. CyrusKafaiWu macrumors member

Financing, I think is only available in the USA.

Honestly, as my first Mac, I got a 2011 Macbook Air 4 GO, 128 GO SSD. I love it! Its quite thin, portable, fast to boot up and turn on and off. It does tasks quite well.

If you install Windows 7 on it under Bootcamp, you can load like games like Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops quite well. But, you can't load some games like Grand Theft Auto IV (bummer).

My mother does own the early-2011 refurbished Macbook Pro base model with 320gb hdd, 4gb ram. It works well, it doesn't boot fast and it has the same graphics card as the air.

If you need a laptop, get the macbook air. If you need a desktop, get an iMac