Need a Mac equivalent to Windows Notepad

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MonsterRain, Jan 3, 2012.

1. MonsterRain macrumors member

I know there's TextEdit...but try as I might, i can't get it to stop formatting what I copy into it.

Basically, what I need it to do, is remove ALL formatting, including Excel blocks. When I copy something, say, a column from Excel into TextEdit, it keeps the spacing, the gridlines, everything. I do not want it to do this. I just want it to copy over the data in the cells, keeping each item on its own row, with left indentation, just like Notepad does.

Is this possible? If not, is there a program that can do this extraordinarily basic thing?

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

You can also switch TextEdit over to plain text mode by going into preferences and choosing Plain Text instead of Rich Text.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

In TextEdit.

Press Command + Shift + T. It will convert it to 'plain' text and get rid of the formatting.

EDIT: Much like ergdegdeg said above... doh!

5. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

Textedit is even better than Notepad. Notepad screws up the word wrap at times, and artificially starts adding return carriage all over the place if you start doing some heavy editing. Never had this problem on Textedit (in plain text mode). You also get the benefit of spell check on Textedit too.

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Icebreaker, the OP asked this question two and a half years ago :D

7. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

Oops! So sorry. For some reason it was at the top of list. Not even sure how I came across it. I thought it was current.