Need a malware removal?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Evren Carven, Jan 14, 2016.

?

Do you have a malware removal for your Mac?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

Though I haven't use any antivirus or anti-malware software on my Mac mini. I know it's a large risk for my Mac security. Is it necessary to use an anti-malware software or somthing like this for my Mac?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Not IMHO - just set a good admin password, set your Gatekeeper settings properly and don't install software from dubious sources.

I keep AdwareMedic to hand to run in case I ever fall asleep at the wheel and install something I regret but I don't run anything continuously, there really isn't any need, again IMHO...

3. 1madman1 macrumors regular

I've never bothered. I also have rootless disabled, Gatekeeper disabled, and have a simple short one word password. Same thing with Windows. Never had any issues. It's unsafe downloads and/or user error 95% off the time these days.

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

The only way malware can be a "large risk" is if you're visiting naughty sites, or the Dark Web.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is not the case so much any more. Formerly trustworthy sites like CNet have started bundling adware/malware inside their installers, so it pretty easy for a novice Mac user to get hit by one of these without going to what anybody would think of as a sleazy web site.

For a novice that is downloading and installing things from the Internet, I don't think it a bad idea to keep an on demand type malware scanner like free MalwareBytes around for the occasional scan.

6. Evren Carven thread starter macrumors regular

Evren Carven

Thanks for all you guys. The result for vote is 50.0% vs 50.0%. As Weaselboy said, as a novice you'd better have a malware removal. If you are experienced user, you can identify the risk by yourself to avoid visiting naughty sites or the Dark Web.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't use any antivirus software on the Mac but on the PC, I've used and recommend MalwareBytes as WB recommends.

8. Old Muley, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016

Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

On my own iMac I keep a copy of Malwarebytes but don't really ever have a need to use it. It is, however, something I call upon almost constantly when I'm asked to "fix" a family member's or friend's computer. I'm shocked at how often people allow malware to be installed.

9. Evren Carven thread starter macrumors regular

Evren Carven

I think some malware to be installed in the background. Popular user cannot notice this behavior.

10. The Clark macrumors regular

The Clark

Never had any kind of protection on my rMBP for the two+ years I've owned this beauty. I constantly download torrents, browse "unsafe" websites, and since I work in IT I know what to stay away from. Gatekeeper is a phenomenal tool and highly under-rated. It's no surprise that most keyloggers and RATS are .exe's which thankfully Mac's don't have to worry about and if you update your Mac even semi-regularly you're good to go. Don't get me wrong, it's easy to pick up adware and junkware if you download enough crap from torrent sites, but they're easy to remove and even easier to avoid. I wouldn't bother with an AV but that's just me.