Need a MBP and it is my first mac.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vulsker, May 29, 2011.

1. vulsker macrumors newbie

Hey all! This is to be my first mac! Basically, I am in need of a Macbook Pro that is going to be taking over as my main computer along with college work, some gaming, and heavy video editing(Final Cut). So I have some questions.

So far I am kinda set on the 17" because of the benefits of a bigger screen and higher resolution, but is there any good reason besides the money to cut down to the 15"? I do have a 24" monitor to hook it up to when I am at my desk. I am also thinking off going with the matte screen to cut down the reflections.

And the next question is a huge one... is it worth $225 for bump up to the i7 2.3 8mb l3? I would personally like to prolong the life as much as possible but is it something that will actually be used and worth that money.

I will be ordering 8gb RAM kit same day so that is a must I know. And eventually would like to get a SSD when the prices are a tad more feasible so I plan on going with the 500gb 7200rpm until then.

My last question is on Apples' refurb program. Is it a worth while option and how does the product normally look when recieved? The reason I ask is because they do have a 17" with the antiglare and 2.3 i7 for only $2379.99 which is a few hundred cheaper then the new but only has the 5400rpm hdd.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!!

2. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Buy the base configuration 17" it's fantastic. I really like mine, and I've been using them for years. The upgraded processor is a waste of money. The 8GB ram is worth it, I use that much in mine.

The anti-glare is a must. Apples glass covered display makes a great mirror, but a terrible display if your a serious user. For casual playing of short duration, most don't care. Nor do they have experience to know the difference.

3. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

4. silverf1re macrumors regular

lolz I was always curious what makes someone a "serious user" now I know its if you have a AG screen. This whole time i figured the AG screen was just a preference. I just wish I had the "experience" you have when I bought a MBP. :rolleyes:

5. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Did you know that when you insult others in expressing *your* opinion, it diminishes the value of your opinion.

6. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Most Apple stores have a couple models with the AG screen so you can see for yourself instead of relying on someone with a big mouth on the internet. A big factor is where you will be doing most of your work on this laptop. If its inside with normal lighting that its not so critical. If its mainly outside than the AG screen does have a big advantage. No experience is needed to tell you that, one look under the wrong lighting conditions will show the benefits of the AG screen. (for the record, I have the glossy one now but I've owned both in the past)

The refurbs are basically perfect so don't hesitate if you find one you like. I do recommend Applecare as the others have too.

7. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I would go with the 15" if you have that nice monitor to hook up to at home.

I have had a 15" and 17" and there really is a difference in ease of portability.

8. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

A "Serious" User doesnt tend to work on a laptop outside.

Period.

9. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Since you have a screen, I would go for the high-end 15" since it will be more portable than the 17". Get the high resolution screen, and matte if you prefer.

Max out the processor, the next version of Final Cut coming in June will finally be able to use multicores and threads. It will be worth it soon.

10. dragonev macrumors member

As an owner of 17" notebook I can say that portability of this device is bloody hell. Don't even think that you will take it everywhere. If you need to travel with notebook - only 15" or smaller. Enchance 15" if you want spend some more.

11. vulsker thread starter macrumors newbie

Alrighty... thanks guys. I have a mac store about 15 mins away and might check em out tomorrow. This will be traveling with me a often as I am a film/media student so the bulkness of the 17 looks like it could be an issue.

I do know for sure the matte will be a must as I'm always by windows and will probably have outside work.

So its looking like a maxed out 15 or stock 17 with applecare and 7200rpm hdd until I get the sd.

Any suggestions on cases or must have access.???

12. a5tod macrumors newbie

If you are scrawny, don't get the 17. If you have the slightest bit of muscle, the 17 is okay. The people on here act like carrying the 17 around is like a 50lbs. weight. Im 5'8 175lbs and the 17 comes everywhere with me NO PROBLEM.

13. 482214 macrumors 6502

I bought a 17" brand new and sold it after 4 months... It was a lovely machine and if you only use it in one location then its amazing.

If you intend to carry it around with you then do not even consider it as an
    Option... Honestly, in my opinion it was a nightmare portable device. Oversized and over weight and hard to use on public transport. Even on a plane business/upper class the 17s size just causes hassell.

I hope this helps

14. vulsker thread starter macrumors newbie

This is getting tougher lol As for me being a bigger guy, I'm 5'11 and 235 so the weight shouldn't be tooo bad of an issue. I checked some prices and with the educational discount the 15" came to 1379 I believe and was only 200 less then the 17.

I am totally going into the store tomorrow though and checking what size grabs my eye more. Well I'm glad the final cut x will take full advantage of a more powerful cpu, just still stuck on it being worth 225 more.

But then checking the refurb store, I can get the 17 refurb for the price of a new 15 and with the 2.3. This is getting tough!

I will also need to grab a case and some other accessories to complete it as well. I know I can get the 8gb ram kit from new egg pretty cheap.