Need a MBP, but now worried.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macgeek77, Aug 15, 2008.

1. macgeek77 macrumors regular

I need a MBP within the next month or so, but it seems that they are really having issues with the graphics card. Is it even worth buying one if it has a defective graphics card? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

That's your descision, if you want to make the jump. Offhand I'd say go for it, if the graphics card turns out to be defective, have it replaced or exchanged for a MB (which is what I had done, the MBP I got had the graphics issue). Apple replaced the machine with no quiggles whatsoever.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

There are quite a few threads where this, and similar, topics are under discussion. Obviously, with the nVidia issue, this is of particular interest. I'm a recent switcher, and the very pleased owner of a MBP. As yet, the nVidia problem has not emerged (which is not to say that it won't); however, I'm still well under warranty, and plan to augment that with Applecare. My experience with Apple in the customer care department has been excellent thus far - it is one of the main reasons I switched. Twice an iPod (within warranty) died, and it was twice replaced without any difficulty.

So, I'd say, the choice is yours. The MBP is a superb machine, beautifully designed, aesthetically attractive, high performance spec, powerful and has a superb screen. If you buy it, you're covered under warranty if something goes wrong. If that still sounds like too much hassle, then I suggest you try the MB; their owners swear by them and tend to be pretty happy also. Cheers and good luck.
    :apple:MBP 15.4", 2.4 ghz, 2 GB RAM, 160 HDD; iPod classic 30 GB

4. frizzastyle macrumors newbie

frizzastyle

I've had my MBP for 2 months now, and I haven't had a single problem. The graphics are stunning, and as long as you get AppleCare protection, you shouldn't have to worry about losing money over the GPU. It's truly a stunning machine, performance and style-wise.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Ive had mine since march and havent had a single problem and I game on it, I use it for everything imaginable. Its a great machine.

6. astudentis macrumors regular

i too am worried about such an issue. Since you already know nVidia has problems why take the extra risk of buying now and then having to waste time to replace your laptop at another date?
    Thats why I am waiting until the newer ones a released...maybe they'll have the 9600 card.