Need a monitor for Late 2012 Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by abbstrack, Dec 20, 2016.

1. abbstrack macrumors regular

I have a late 2012 Mac Mini (2.53 quad core i7) that I've been using with a Thunderbolt display for the last 4 years. The Thunderbolt needs a new logic board ($300 with labor to replace), so I'm wondering if there's a better monitor option at somewhere near that price that is more up to date, supports wide gamut, and has a matte display that would work?

I've decided against upgrading to the 2014 mac mini for obvious reasons, and am hoping (but not overly optimistic) that there is a refresh coming to the mini line at some point. In the meantime, I'm trying to continue to be able to edit photos (Lightroom + Photoshop) without being forced either make the switch to a PC, or spending $$$ on a 3 year old Mac pro (i'm not interested in buying an iMac at all).

My needs are:

IPS
    Wide gamut (supports srgb and adobe rgb)
    Matte screen

Ideally looking in the 27-34inch range. Probably willing to spend in the $500-$800 range. I'm aware I cant get 4K at 60hz refresh rate based on the constraints of the tech in the mini, but I'm fine with that. I do want something that has accurate color representation (aware I'll need to calibrate) and has picture quality equal to or greater than the Thunderbolt display. Also not using this for gaming at all.

Anybody found a good non TBD monitor to use with their 2012 mini?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I use a ASUS VS24AH-P for my 2012 Mac Mini.

24.1"
    IPS
    1920x1200
    Matte
    HDMI/DVI/VGA inputs

It's overall a no frills monitor, good for office-level work and movies. Has very good Amazon reviews, and can be had for under $200 from Amazon Warehouse Deals. I was hard pressed to find anything with better bang for buck.

4. abbstrack thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks...since I'm already at 27", going to 24 would be too much of a leap backwards though I fear, especially since my primary use is photo editing.

After some research on my own, I think i've found my answer..the BenQ SW2700PT seems to be the closest rival to the Thunderbolt, with the added bonus of it being a matte display. At 100% sRGB and 99% Adobe RGB coverage it appears it would be at the very least a satisfactory equivalent to the thunderbolt display..unfortunately not as nice looking, but in this case I think function > form.

Anyone have this monitor?

5. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Unless you're routinely working with large images, you might consider two smaller displays,