Need a monitor for rMBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Fontane, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Fontane macrumors regular

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Buy a 4K monitor. They're not cheap though...

£750+ here last time I checked for a 60Hz model.

3. hkoster1 macrumors regular

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Apple is using the term Retina to mean that a the typical use distance the eye can not detect individual pixels. Retina does not equal a fixed pixels per aquare inch/cm for all devices. Note Apple has never designed an external monitor or iMac as Retina. With luck that is coming in the near future.

So the questions are:

• what apps will be using on the monitor (general stuff like mail and Safari, precision work like graphics art or video and photo editing?)
    • what size monitor do you want?
    • What type of panel do you want in the monitor (IPS, TN,...etc.)

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

7. umbilical macrumors 6502a

I have related question becuase I have rMBP too and I need a monitor...
    the question is:
    The actual apple display of 27 ich LOOKs the Worst, the Same or Better!!! than the retina on the macbook pro?

I love the quality of retina (I know is just a term that apple use) I want a monitor that looks with the same quality or better than retina, the actual apple display looks like?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

9. umbilical macrumors 6502a

that looks the same or better than rMBP?
    my point is that, I want ANY monitor of ANY brand but looks with the same quality of a Retina mac,

in the past I have a NO retina mac, my eyes killing me after a day in the work! after use a retina! things change a lot!!!! no more pain for my eyes!

I need something that looks the same than retina, you know is like have a this 15 inch display but in 27 or 30... same thing but more size.

exist some way to know that? by example something like:
    retina macbook pro, number is 6500 ips or dpi or wharever thing meter of quality!
    apple 27 display is 7500, or worst 4400...

any got my point? sorry my english sucks! haha

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

27" monitors typically are 2560 x 1440 pixels. The newer UHD or even 4k panels are just coming onto the market.
    Personally I'd rather have a decent brand monitor with a wide colour gamut and conformity across the panel that a better resolution cheap crappy thing.
    I use a NEC Spectraview which is great.
    When the 4k versions come out I'll get one of them eventually, but only when I have checked my graphics card has what it takes to run it.

11. hkoster1 macrumors regular

If by "retina looks" you mean pixel density, then your 15-inch rMBP displays 220 pixels/inch (ppi). A larger display with the same ppi will quickly run up against limits of data transfer, especially with the coveted 60Hz refresh rate.

You may wish to trade a somewhat lower ppi for size, and then I find a 4K display (3840 x 2160) of 24-inch diagonal a good choice. The Dell UP2414Q has 187 ppi, is supported by Apple, and at a scaled 2304 x 1296 resolution quite acceptable. That's what I use, and quite an improvement over the 108 ppi Thunderbolt Display I used previously.

12. umbilical macrumors 6502a

sounds good about the dell, but for $765.99 I prefer wait! for see the apple 4k and wait for know the price.

13. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

[​IMG]

I love my Thunderbolt display! Expensive and outdated, but so oh elegant. I'd recommend it if you have money to throw down. (My wallet hates me, but I worked hard to earn this gem!) It's the perfect companion to my RMBP. I will probably sell it and buy the 4k Thunderbolt Display whenever Apple announces it.

14. cebseb macrumors regular

The only way to get close the kinds of DPI your rmbp is displaying would definitely be a 4k monitor.

15. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I'm in a similar boat debating (while much more on the cheap side) between a 27" monitor and a 32" LED TV to use as the monitor. Both are ~$220-$260 (monitor being the more expensive slightly). Is the quality of using a TV in that manner really much worse than a true monitor?

16. umbilical macrumors 6502a

that response is for me right? thanks!
    so I pass in any monitor in the earth inferior an a retina macbook pro... I need something equal or better not worst! so I need wait for a 4K, expensive... but is the only way to work well, my eyes are more valuable than anything...

non "retina" monitors looks pretty bad... I buy a macbook air for my mom and is very very bad... menus looks ugly blurred unfocused... so bad... I dont want the same in a monitor, I dont want back to this: http://interchangeproject.org/wp-co...-the-new-ipad-s-retina-display-629e9b2ec4.jpg

17. fcortese, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014

fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I had pretty much asked this question on the MBP thread and I am going to wait until either Apple announces something next week at the release of the iPhone 6 or more than likely in October (if they ever will then) for their update to the their 27 inch TB display. Macrumors reported here about Dell releasing a 28 inch 4k display in late January for about $700. So, personally, I'm waiting to see what, if anything, Apple has to offer by late October. If I like and it meets what I need and I'm looking for then I'll probably go for it unless the price is crazy expensive. If not, I may just wait to see what Dell has to offer in January. Obviously the caveat is what the recovery rate will be and how Yosemite and Apple play with the new monitor. And you will need to factor in what your intended usage is; gaming, video creation, movies, or photography fie management and post-processing, which is my main use.

18. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Good idea to want for an rATD in October. If for some reason that does not happen, at least we will be heading into the holiday shopping season where we can see some good deals....especially on Black Friday..

19. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the photo. I'm curious about a few items in your photo. Can you tell me 1) what holder you are using for your macbook, 2) what keyboard, 3) what your monitor is sitting on top of?

Also, can you use an rMBP while it's in a closed position? Or will it overheat?

Thanks!

20. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The rMBP stand is a Bookarc. You can get then in the Apple store or online. When home my rMBP sits in a Bookarc and connects to an ATD via TB. Ethernet connects to the ATD, as does TB drives and a USB keyboard. My Magic Mouse connects via Bluetooth.