Resolved Need A New Backup Solution

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Macman45, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Macman45, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Up until now, I have been using 3 500GB Hdds for my backups. This is becoming a pain, and I'm thinking of taking the leap into SSD storage now that higher capacity drives are available.

I need to backup up....

1) My iMac

2) MBA

3) MBP

What are your opinions on a couple of these?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storag..._High_Capacity_Lineup_Solid_State_Drives.html

The watchword here is RELIABILITY!!! my present solution may be a little slow, but it's rock solid. Anyone have any thoughts on these new larger SSD's?

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

Why would you go ssd for back up storage over a large partitioned hdd? You do not need the speed of an ssd for backups IMHO and hdd are just as if not more reliable than an ssd in normal uses.

Wondering your reasoning for ssd over hdd at this time.

3. Macman45 thread starter macrumors G5

Macman45

I Guess Waiting Makes Sense

But the stuff I backup is often very large music and video files which take a long time to copy over. Sure, it works, but since I realised just how fast SSD's are (I need quick access to these files for continued work on them) I thought It was worth considering.

So you think I'd be better off sticking with what I have now until prices come down?

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

Just IMHO of course but for back up I would stick with hdd. Unless money isn't a big deal of course. If you can use FireWire for your back ups that would be pretty decent speed wise and a good compromise until ssd prices drop.

I suppose what you need to consider is how you would connect the ssd anyway. If via a USB or FireWire enclosure then I would question if the connection speed wouldn't make the performance of the ssd and hdd writing close to equal.

5. Macman45 thread starter macrumors G5

Macman45

I Would Use

Thunderbolt to connect.....I agree broadly with you about prices....They have already come down a lot, and can only fall further. Ideally I'd like something like a 3TB SSD, with a partition for each device, but 600GB is the biggest I've seen so far.

6. marc11 macrumors 68000

Ah Thunderbolt would be a huge advantage speed wise. Still seems like a huge expense considering upsides. SSD IMHO is the next future of storage, sizes and price options will only improve in the near term.

7. Macman45 thread starter macrumors G5

Macman45

Yep

And reliability too.....I may bite the bullet and wait a while. Thanks for your input though:)