Need a new factory unlocked iPhone - what do we know re 6 pricing and new 'c' model?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swedefish, Jul 27, 2014.

1. swedefish macrumors 6502

Seems like my trusty 4 finally has given up. Took a fall down a set of stone stairs to totally warp the metal band/casing, but the glass is still intact. I've dropped this device countless times on hard surfaces so at least I feel lucky in that regard... But the poor thing is not the same anymore. Sigh.

Due to being a traveller and using various prepaid services in different countries, I will buy factory unlocked from Apple. I would down the money on a 5c today if it wasn't for the upcoming release. I can still use the screen on my device even though it has become very unresponsive and annoying post drop, i.e. annoying to the point that I can no longer type out a one-paragraph email without losing my temper.

Two questions:

What do we expect in terms of pricing for the new models? Will they be more expensive than the current 5s or will they retain the same price point?

Also, what is the 5s's future? Will the internals get put into a c casing and the model continuing in that form or will it disappear completely with the current 5c remaining as is and getting a price cut? Ideally I'd like to use a new phone for 2-3 years so I don't want to buy a 5c which might become obsolete within a year.

Any advise and info on the rumors (which I haven't been following) would be much appreciated. Informed speculation welcome. I'm not interested in Android so fanboys, please don't waste your time. Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

no one really knows, though I think people are expecting, hoping the 4.7" iPhone 6 will be at the same price point, but all indications the 5.5" iPhone 6 will be more expensive.

Know one really knows what's going to happen with the 5s, or the next "c" model. I think many people expect the 6c to come out with the 6s since that what occurred last time.

3. duaneu macrumors 6502a

We don't know anything until Apple announces it. You can make guesses based on what they've done in prior years, but you never know if they're going to do something new.

4. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

I don't see a 6C coming anytime soon, no leaks whatsoever.

5. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

What I see happening is Apple introducing iPhone 6 4.7" in September while pushing the 5s down to mid tier and the 5c down to free. I see a 6c coming with the 6s as the 5c did with the 5s.

Also I believe that if Apple introduces a 5.5" model it will be a different product line such as the Note is for Samsung.

I believe with no inside knowledge the lineup will look like this:
    iPhone 6 4.7" starting at 16 gb and $199 on contract
    iPhone 5s only 16 gb $99 on contract
    iPhone 5c 8 or maybe 16 gb free on contract.

I honestly don't think it's going to be much different or like "last year" when Apple dropped the iPhone 5 for the 5c. I think the 5s will go through it's entire life "as is." I believe the thing most people don't realize is that I think Apple believes the iPhone 5 had problems with the aluminum chipping because of the black and I honestly believe that's one of the main factors in Apple discontinuing it so early ... Along with the fact they were afraid a lot of people would have just gotten a 5 instead of 5s, but that could be said on every "tock" cycle.

----------

I definitely agree with this. If it were coming they would release 3 new phones and that's not happening. I believe the 6c will come with the 6s if it does come.

6. swedefish thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

What you guys said about the 'c' cycle corresponding to the 's' cycle makes sense. In that case my hope is that the 5s is kept as the cheaper option when the new model is released as I am not a screen size queen and want a pocketable device.

As for pricing, I truly hope I don't have to drop more than £500 on a new handset. :-/

I was thinking the c might be more of a silent upgrade, i.e. no big splash, just 5s internals now in a plastic casing, possibly sans Touch ID...