Need a new hard drive???????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbutta224, Mar 20, 2008.

1. jbutta224 macrumors newbie

ok, i have a powerbook g4 12in and i was wondering what hard drive i need to get. im in okinawa right now so no mac stores. i dont know if i need to upgrade it or if i have to get the one that it comes with. either way can you let me know which one i have to buy so i can give this hp away i hate windows and i needed a comp so i bought this (regretfully). thanks for your help also is it hard or costly to recover all the memory off my old hard drive?

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

here is what OWC have for your notebook and here is a guide on how to swap it.
    To recover the data from your old HD can be quite expensive but you could try to put it on an external enclosure and use a recovery app.

3. jbutta224 thread starter macrumors newbie

could you let me know which hard drive would be the best choice for my comp?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Any 2.5" PATA drive should work. I would suggest either Seagate or WesternDigital for the HD.

TEG

5. vniow macrumors G4

I wouldn't. The Seagates are IMO utter ****. especially the 5400/7200.2. The .3 is a bit better but not my much. I wouldn't recommend any Seagate notebook drive to anyone. Period. Quite honestly, all the brands suck, but Seagates and Toshibas are the ones I end up replacing the most out of all others. Your best bet is a WD, Samsung or Hitachi. The percentage of failures in those brands are far less.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I use a Seagate for my internal drive (ST9100823A) I like it a lot.

TEG

7. vniow macrumors G4

Yeah well, I had a Toshiba in my MB before I swapped it out for a larger one and it has shown no indication of failure. That doesn't change the fact that overall they're pieces of ****.