need a new laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seablue, Mar 23, 2012.

1. seablue macrumors regular

Well, looks like I need a new laptop. I'm using an ibook G4 power PC. Can't do any upgrades on the apps I use now - I'm SO outdated. Thought about upgrading to leopard but I don't think it's worth paying 170.00 for not much of an upgrade....
    What is the difference between the mac pro and mac air besides the weight and thinness? I don't haul my computer anywhere with me - I just use it at home.

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

About a hundred bucks.

3. mrobit macrumors regular

Power (less RAM, weaker processor), hard drive space/type (Hard disk vs solid state), not upgradeable. Depending on the level MBP, the MBA has a higher resolution I believe than the 13".

4. AppChat macrumors regular

are you that inclined that u cant look up the specs?

apple.com

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

If you don't lug your computer around, get the MBP and fit an aftermarket SSD. You have expansion options and a faster CPU.

To get the extreme thinness and small size, the MBA gives up any ability to upgrade RAM (vs 16gb and maybe more on the MBP), no ability to use a second drive, internally, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the MBA is an awesome little machine, and if you want something portable (above all else) there is nothing better - but if you're not carrying the thing around you've made a lot of sacrifices for not a lot of gain.