need a new lens for 50D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by oinsodieum, Sep 7, 2011.

1. oinsodieum macrumors newbie

Hi guys! I've had my 50D for a while now and i need a new lens. I already have a 70-300 f4L IS lens. any suggestions for a short range lens. the price cant be too big, but i dont want a cheap lens. thanks for the help:D

2. mrcam216 macrumors newbie

I was just talking about that lens in a different forum. How do you like it and what do you shoot? If you don't plan to jump to a full sensor like a 5d and up, i would highly suggest the canon 17-55. Very sharp and nice iq, just not an L lens. L picture quality, but not build. Although its not a cheaply made lens. Just my 2 cents.

3. Razeus macrumors 601

Consider the Tamrom 17-50 2.8 or the Canon 24-70 L.

4. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

Have a look at the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. It's a great normal zoom lens with a fast constant aperture, very sharp, decent build quality and quite affordable: the non-IS version (the much sharper one) goes for around $435 on B&H Photo ...

5. Stotka macrumors regular

Stotka

Do you want a zoom lens or a fixed aperture? And what do you take pics of?

6. stevendphoto macrumors member

I would highly reccommend the Canon EF 24-105 MM F/4L IS USM Zoom Lens, you can find a good used one at Fredmiranda.com.

Stay away from the off brands and stick with Canon Lenses, you will be better off in the long run.

I have a Canon 24-70L f2.8 that I have used on at least FIVE diffrent camera Bodies through the years, so don't be affraid to buy the most expensive Lens you can afford as if you get a good one, it will last you..

7. Razeus macrumors 601

8. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I hear it performs better on a grop than on a full frame as there is apparent vignetting on a full frame. Fixable of course.

24 on a crop is a bit tight but not too bad. The quality of the lens itself is very good to excellent. Very sharp. I have it on my 7D and its my walk around lens. If I need something wider and don't have another lens with me, then I apply the rules of a prime lens - zoom with your feet.

9. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

I've got the 24-105mm L on a 7D and it's great, I think it'll be really awesome when I upgrade to a full frame. I tend to use the 10-22mm more, but I like the wide angle.

The best compromise IMO is the 17-55mm, but it's expensive and is only for crop sensors. If I had it to do over, I'd probably buy the 17-55mm, while I had the crop body. Then after going full frame, sell it and get the 24-105mm then. My 2 cents. :D

10. Stotka macrumors regular

Stotka

The next lens I plan to buy is 35mm f2 for street photography. Op you need to tell us what are you planing to take photos of? So we can tell you what is the best lens to purchase.