Need a New Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by uMac, Feb 5, 2012.

?

Which Option would you Recommend?

1. Mac Mini + PC + Monitor + NAS

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. iMac + PC + NAS

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Beefed Up Mac Pro + Pro Monitor

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. uMac macrumors 6502

Currently I have a Mac Pro 1,1 back in 2006 and I do a lot of editing and with the transition to 1080p Video Files and Short Films becoming longer and longer (I'll likely be making a feature soon) the rendering times have become unacceptable; I do this as a hobby so having to wait for the computer to render isn't fun and eats a lot of my time as the computer slows right down when its rendering in order to finish faster.

I also need a new monitor as the Samsung TF panel I have is horrible (colour wise, and its not IPS so gradient across the screen).

Some Options:
    Mac Mini + PC + New Monitor + NAS - Mac for work, and PC auto renders files I put into a NAS folder.

iMac + PC + NAS - Mac for all the Normal work, PC to render out the movie files in the background. Plus the iMac Monitor is awesome.

Mac Pro + Monitor - Similar to what I have now but more Powerful, but I would have to wait for the refresh.

Thoughts Questions?

Assuming:
    1. The cost is the same for each option
    2. Monitor Size and Quality are the same (Monitor Suggestions?)
    3. Mac Pro & PC similar specs
    4. I would want the set-up end of March at the latest
    5. I edit with Adobe Premier & After Effects

2. briantology macrumors 6502

For what you're doing, don't get a Mac mini. The iMacs are pretty swole these days and would probably serve you well—plus the display is quality. Past that, if you are looking for non-Apple IPS displays, Dell's Ultrasharp line is an option.

3. TheRocketmac macrumors member

TheRocketmac

Also on aftermarket would be the Asus PA264 or the BenQ XL2420T. (These are 24" Displays. There's always the ACD 27" LED (not the TBD) as well.

As for hardware, get yourself a nice i7 27" iMac and an external display to run off it if needed/share with your PC.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I've gone for the iMac solution because it's what I use, and it works well. I edit music video, and produce music. I went top spec. (as you suggest) And added extra RAM MYSELF (Don't pay Apples RAM prices)

The machine never misses a beat, never overheats, and is solid as a rock.

27" screen helps too...The more real-estate the better in our line of work!

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd either get just an iMac and if that cannot handle your work and you need to buy a PC, then get the MacPro. Why work and use two different platforms when the MacPro should handle all that you need

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I had to vote for Mac Pro. I really think Apple should rename the Mac Pro the Throwback because of its tower form factor. These days you can get an on demand water heater or a furnace smaller than a Mac Pro. So why did I vote Mac Pro? Because the other items contained something toxic: a PC. I just don't see how a PC is required for anything you are doing. An iMac should be more than capable and you can hold your nose and run Parallels or Virtualbox if you really must run some PC applications.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, if the other options are insufficient to handle the stated needs, then why buy a second computer. Get a Mac Pro and use a single machine

8. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I agree as well. For what your needs are Mac Pro is the way to go. Spend a little more upfront and then you'll only need the one machine to do everything instead of using two different platforms.

9. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Its just my time is very valuable (as I Produce/Writer/Direct and EDIT my own films) so sitting around waiting for a film or scene to render is wasting a lot of time... especially as a lot of my short films are for challenges and time is a big factor.

My Most recent film took close to 45 minutes to render... and its only 10 minutes long with no special effects (those take forever and I couldn't spare the time in the 72 hour challenge). I made two booboos and had to render three times, took 3 hours!!! Practically was racing out the door to submit!
    [​IMG]

My friend on a PC rendered his film in 20 minutes (as I was driving to pick him up so we could both submit our films) as he was able to upgrade his video card, something Macs have trouble doing (without great cost).

[​IMG]

10. will waters macrumors regular

Mac Pro

Wait until the mac pro updat and then get one of those, you won't be disappointed!!

Will