Need a new MacBook ASAP

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
Dear all, my early 2011 Macbook Pro motherboard has just decided to expire. Fortunately all the data are easily accessible and I have a 2 days ago time machine. No applecare here. I need to buy a laptop as soon as possible, since here in the office no one has a mac so it is impossible to me to access all my data and this is not good since I have a Phd exam about my research activities in 2 weeks. My idea is to buy a retina 13 256 gb... any suggestion about good deals?

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Dear all, my early 2011 Macbook Pro motherboard has just decided to expire. Fortunately all the data are easily accessible and I have a 2 days ago time machine. No applecare here. I need to buy a laptop as soon as possible, since here in the office no one has a mac so it is impossible to me to access all my data and this is not good since I have a Phd exam about my research activities in 2 weeks. My idea is to buy a retina 13 256 gb... any suggestion about good deals?
Refurbished or education discount. I think the 13" cMBP is down to $999.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Applesliced.com

Just a heads up, the new models are 6 days away.

unknownfps

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013
Buy the cheapest one in the nearby Apple Stores (recommended to be an Apple Store, not Best Buy or etc) temporarily. You have a 14-day full-return policy, with no questions asked (hopefully, if not just say it doesn't fit you).
Then when the new refresh comes, buy it.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
Buy the cheapest one in the nearby Apple Stores (recommended to be an Apple Store, not Best Buy or etc) temporarily. You have a 14-day full-return policy, with no questions asked (hopefully, if not just say it doesn't fit you).
Then when the new refresh comes, buy it.
Nearest apple store is 200 km from where I live.... does this thing apply the same if I buy online from apple?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
6 days are eternity... I need to work and the supervisor is looking for results asap....
Got it. Well, are you sure you have to spend $1699 on a model that is going to be outdated in 6 days? I asume you really need a Mac; would the $999 cMBP with business discount tie you over or maybe even a $250 Chromebook? That seems a lot to spend knowing new models are so upcoming, but if you need it...

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
Got it. Well, are you sure you have to spend $1699 on a model that is going to be outdated in 6 days? I asume you really need a Mac; would the $999 cMBP with business discount tie you over or maybe even a $250 Chromebook? That seems a lot to spend knowing new models are so upcoming, but if you need it...
Up to now the best solution I found is a refurbished one at 1480$ taxes included from online apple store....
retina 13 256 gb

unknownfps

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013
Nearest apple store is 200 km from where I live.... does this thing apply the same if I buy online from apple?
Yes it still applies, but the 14-day policy & warranty starts the day it is shipped, not when it is delivered to your home.
Also note that it might take 3-5 business days to be delivered.

And of course, if you want to return with full refund, you gotta go to your local Apple Store.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Up to now the best solution I found is a refurbished one at 1480$ taxes included from online apple store....
retina 13 256 gb
Are you going to want to upgrade if the new model has a 10 hour battery life like the update might bring?

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
this story is driving me crazy. the fact is that the authorized apple reseller here closed 2 weeks ago.... I think the only thing I need to do is to drive to chicago... and buy one there and then give them back and claim a new one after wwdc (which I am attending :D)

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
South Melbourne, Australia
And of course, if you want to return with full refund, you gotta go to your local Apple Store.
that is not true, at least in here Australia you can return from your own convenience without going to apple store.

----------

this story is driving me crazy. the fact is that the authorized apple reseller here closed 2 weeks ago.... I think the only thing I need to do is to drive to chicago... and buy one there and then give them back and claim a new one after wwdc (which I am attending :D)
if you plan to return the product, might aswell get the cMBP first then switch it after WWDC ?
saves you couple bucks.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
Are you going to want to upgrade if the new model has a 10 hour battery life like the update might bring?
I don't think the upgrade will be so big. IMHO they will cut down battery weight if they have such an improvement...

----------

that is not true, at least in here Australia you can return from your own convenience without going to apple store.

----------

if you plan to return the product, might aswell get the cMBP first then switch it after WWDC ?
saves you couple bucks.
mmm this is a good point... the fact is that I'm buying through faculty (PhD funds) so I don't know if I can do this money job

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
South Melbourne, Australia
mmm this is a good point... the fact is that I'm buying through faculty (PhD funds) so I don't know if I can do this money job
When i returned my product, they chargeback to my card.

There's another guy who received a new rMBP recently from his company and he managed to return to product, perhaps you could ask him.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Uhm... just get the best thing that fits within the budget and that you can get within a day. Does your university book store sell Macs?

Why would you even worry about the model or upgrade, the machine should pass on to the next student after you, or not?

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
buy anything NOW....and return it and buy the new model after 14 days. But there are 6 days..and 2 of those are saturday and sunday..so only 4 days business days so maybe your supervisor is human and understands

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
just curious, is it smart to get a mac at best buy? I just got approved for a credit line at BB but if the mac community suggest I shouldn't, maybe I should reconsider.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
just curious, is it smart to get a mac at best buy? I just got approved for a credit line at BB but if the mac community suggest I shouldn't, maybe I should reconsider.
Macs at BB are fine. Just keep your receipt and don't expect great CS if anything is wrong; go to Apple for help.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Macs at BB are fine. Just keep your receipt and don't expect great CS if anything is wrong; go to Apple for help.
B... you wouldn't happen to know how to differentiate Samsung screen with LG's? If so, how?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
B... you wouldn't happen to know how to differentiate Samsung screen with LG's? If so, how?
Well, are you buying a 15" or 13"? There is a terminal command to check, but it is disabled on the 13".