Need a new MacBook ASAP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by srsub3, Jun 3, 2013.

1. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

Dear all, my early 2011 Macbook Pro motherboard has just decided to expire. Fortunately all the data are easily accessible and I have a 2 days ago time machine. No applecare here. I need to buy a laptop as soon as possible, since here in the office no one has a mac so it is impossible to me to access all my data and this is not good since I have a Phd exam about my research activities in 2 weeks. My idea is to buy a retina 13 256 gb... any suggestion about good deals?

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Refurbished or education discount. I think the 13" cMBP is down to $999.

3. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Applesliced.com

Just a heads up, the new models are 6 days away.

4. srsub3 thread starter macrumors 6502

srsub3

6 days are eternity... I need to work and the supervisor is looking for results asap....

5. unknownfps macrumors member

Buy the cheapest one in the nearby Apple Stores (recommended to be an Apple Store, not Best Buy or etc) temporarily. You have a 14-day full-return policy, with no questions asked (hopefully, if not just say it doesn't fit you).
    Then when the new refresh comes, buy it.

6. red321red321 macrumors regular

I dont care and went ahead and just got the 15" Pro.

7. srsub3 thread starter macrumors 6502

srsub3

Nearest apple store is 200 km from where I live.... does this thing apply the same if I buy online from apple?

8. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Got it. Well, are you sure you have to spend $1699 on a model that is going to be outdated in 6 days? I asume you really need a Mac; would the $999 cMBP with business discount tie you over or maybe even a $250 Chromebook? That seems a lot to spend knowing new models are so upcoming, but if you need it...

9. srsub3 thread starter macrumors 6502

srsub3

Definitely too expensive and over my needs.... too big for travelling also. 13 is the right form factor for my needs

10. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

well, the DHL guy will pick up the product if you choose to return from your address.

if they do ship macs to your address, i don't see why they can't do the same for returns.

11. srsub3 thread starter macrumors 6502

srsub3

Up to now the best solution I found is a refurbished one at 1480$ taxes included from online apple store....
    retina 13 256 gb

12. unknownfps macrumors member

Yes it still applies, but the 14-day policy & warranty starts the day it is shipped, not when it is delivered to your home.
    Also note that it might take 3-5 business days to be delivered.

And of course, if you want to return with full refund, you gotta go to your local Apple Store.

13. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Are you going to want to upgrade if the new model has a 10 hour battery life like the update might bring?

14. srsub3 thread starter macrumors 6502

srsub3

this story is driving me crazy. the fact is that the authorized apple reseller here closed 2 weeks ago.... I think the only thing I need to do is to drive to chicago... and buy one there and then give them back and claim a new one after wwdc (which I am attending :D)

15. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

that is not true, at least in here Australia you can return from your own convenience without going to apple store.

----------

if you plan to return the product, might aswell get the cMBP first then switch it after WWDC ?
    saves you couple bucks.

16. srsub3 thread starter macrumors 6502

srsub3

I don't think the upgrade will be so big. IMHO they will cut down battery weight if they have such an improvement...

----------

mmm this is a good point... the fact is that I'm buying through faculty (PhD funds) so I don't know if I can do this money job

17. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

When i returned my product, they chargeback to my card.

There's another guy who received a new rMBP recently from his company and he managed to return to product, perhaps you could ask him.

18. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Uhm... just get the best thing that fits within the budget and that you can get within a day. Does your university book store sell Macs?

Why would you even worry about the model or upgrade, the machine should pass on to the next student after you, or not?

19. Serban Suspended

buy anything NOW....and return it and buy the new model after 14 days. But there are 6 days..and 2 of those are saturday and sunday..so only 4 days business days so maybe your supervisor is human and understands

20. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

just curious, is it smart to get a mac at best buy? I just got approved for a credit line at BB but if the mac community suggest I shouldn't, maybe I should reconsider.

21. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Macs at BB are fine. Just keep your receipt and don't expect great CS if anything is wrong; go to Apple for help.

22. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

B... you wouldn't happen to know how to differentiate Samsung screen with LG's? If so, how?

23. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Well, are you buying a 15" or 13"? There is a terminal command to check, but it is disabled on the 13".

24. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

dam, it's actually for the 13".. so there's no way?