Need a new MacBook HDD. Help me pick a good one? :)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Prof., Aug 6, 2009.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I have a mid-2007 MacBook and I think it's time I get a bigger HDD. I was wondering if you guys and gals could help me find a reliable replacement. Right now I have a 160 GB HDD (5400RPM). I was thinking about getting a HDD that's around 320 GB or more. Preferably 500 with 7200 RPM if at all possible.

What do you recommend me getting? I'd like to keep the price under US$100.00 if possible.

Thanks for your help!

Prof.

PS - do I need an SATA drive or an ATA drive...?:confused:

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

500GB Seagate 7200.4

or

Western Digital 500GB Scorpio Blue (5400RPM)

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

9.5mm tall SATA drive.

They're almost all 9.5mm form factor, just not the newest 750GB model that came out, that's 12.5mm.

4. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

There is also a 1TB 12.5mm 2.5in hard drive.

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I highly recommend the WD Scorpio Black but I guess it's somewhat puny by today's standards. I've had it in both my First Gen and Aluminum and it works well in them. -GDF

7. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

I'm about to buy this HDD. My main concern is that it is a "Bare Drive." What exactly is a bare drive? Would it work with my MacBook right out of the box or do I need to modify it somehow?

8. (L) macrumors 6502

Same boat here

Yo dawg, I'm in the same boat. (My apologies for calling you a dog.)

I'm looking at this one, though:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B002FYJQB8/

The one you found is one I found early on in my search, but note that this one has the added shock protection:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CQA2NU/

The reason I ultimately decided on Hitachi is that I started seeing reviews of these Seagate drives that they make lots of noise, odd noises, break down, etc. All drives of this sort are hit or miss, in my opinion, but SSDs are so pricey... But the Hitachi is a few more dollars.

To get it to work with the MacBook, as I intend to, I believe you should buy a case for it to stick it in, copy your data/install Mac OS X, and only then remove it from the case to replace your MacBook HDD. You need something to connect the bare drive to your Mac while doing this, and I think the case I'm looking at makes this possible. Then, when you've swapped them, your old one is immediately good as an external drive, if I'm not mistaken.

Hope that helps, but I'm just at the same novice level as you, so hopefully if I'm wrong on any of this someone can correct me.:eek:

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the 250GB 7200.4 is really good i have it and had no problems (i think the previous generation had problems). gets burst speeds of around 100MB/s (500GB model is a bit faster) and is very quiet, pretty much silent in ambient surroundings.

the Scorpio Black is probably a bit faster, but ive heard is a bit louder.

10. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I have a Seagate one (ST9320423AS) with 320GB, 7200 rpm, large buffer and a free-drop sensor. It was very cheap, I paid around $60 for it. It stopped my beach ball problem (or was that the 4GB RAM upgrade?).

It's pretty silent and energy efficient too. But if these would not be important, I would definitely get a Scorpion Blue or Black. They are very, very good!

11. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Go to OWC and look at the cases with HDD as well as all the cords, FW and USB. One neat package. Just installed a WD Scorpio Black 320 GB in 2 Black Mac Books and a first gen Aluminum MBP, copied the hard drive using "Super Duper" went flawlessly, removed the drive from the case popped it in the MB and VOILA! ,booted first time.;)
    Here's a link,
    http://www.macsales.com/newsletter/OWCBlast03-24-2010.html
    They even have VIDEOS on how to do it as well as install the new drive.!:eek:
    Once done, pop the old drive into the case, to use it as a FW/USB EXTERNAL back up(Time Machine )drive

12. (L) macrumors 6502

Thanks.

I'm not sure, but from the looks of their kits, maybe a special screwdriver (torx?) is required? I dunno. I think I'll try opening up my MacBook today to check. Anyway, I guess that's an extra 10 bucks because it's just so hard to use normal screws?:(

13. Jay S. macrumors newbie

I'm quite partial to western digital myself. I'd go scorpio black 320 gb (7200 rpm) or scorpio blue 500gb (5400 rpm). I personally run the scorpio blue and it is great. You should have no problems with the bare drive as long as you have an enclosure to throw it in.

14. lyons238 macrumors 6502

my seagate momentus 500gb 7200.4 works great. quite, my battery life remains, fast (despite what some users have reported)

15. bojangles9999 macrumors newbie

just found this

after hearing about the new toshiba 9.5mm 750gb drive, i did a search and found this for sale:

http://www.goharddrive.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=G02-0138&Click=46406

they're saying that it ships within a day or two, but i thought toshiba was the first to launch a drive like this, and that they're not even being mass manufactured until april. anyone have any clue what the story is behind this?:confused:

16. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Where do I buy a "case" for the new HDD that will work with my MB?

17. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

18. lyons238 macrumors 6502

you buy a new hard drive and an external caddy for your old hard drive so you can transfer your data. you can find these cases at newegg under hard drive enclosures. pick the 2.5" sata

i also recommend the seagate momentus 7200.4 500gb. works very well with no noticeable noise, vibration, heat, or power consumption.

19. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Ooooh okay. I was just gonna use Time Machine once i got the OS installed.
    Thanks! I'm assuming that HDD is a bit pricy. I'll have to save up a lil more so I can get it. :D

:eek: It's only 99 on newegg! I'm buying it as soon as I get paid in two weeks. :D

So once I buy it, I just install it in my MacBook? No modification required? I've never replaced a HDD before. Sorry for all the questions.

20. lyons238 macrumors 6502

dont worry bro i had the same questions before. i can help u install it.

basically you unscrew the back plate. touch anything metal to release any static in your body. unscrew the retaining piece on the hard drive. pop the hd out. unscrew the mounting screws with a T6 torx screwdriver. put the mounting screws in the new hd. connect the sata cable, and place the hd in place. then screw the retaining piece back in. screw the bottom plate back in.

boot up the macbook with the install disk in. install osx. it will prompt you to partion your drive just pick osx (journaled or w/e, you will know what i mean when you see it). then make sure you partion it as GUID.

then once osx is installed put your old hard drive in the external caddy, plug it in, and you can transfer any files you want.

i recommend doing it this way instead of cloning your old drive, so you start fresh with a fresh install and your hard drive is clean. you might have to re download some of your apps. but just write them down on some paper and do it.

21. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Looks like I'll have to run out and buy a T6 torx screwdriver. Can I get that at any hardware store?

Found one! :D

22. pabloconrad macrumors newbie

You can also buy one at Sears (Craftsman) or an auto part store. Changing the hard drive is easy.

The tools you'll need are a #0 phillips (small) and the T6 Torx.

Simple to do. Also OWC has a video you can watch that shows you how to do it:http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbook_13_mem_hd_h/

Hope this helps

23. owen22 macrumors newbie

owen22

Although I haven't seen this specific clip I can't recommend watching a video enough!

Printed step-by-step guides are great (and should be your main point of reference if you only have one computer in your house) but nothing beats seeing it done on video a couple of time before you attmept it for the first time.