Need A New MacBook Pro And Have A Few More Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by team 79 krunch, Jul 12, 2008.

1. team 79 krunch macrumors member

team 79 krunch

Ok so now I have Decided that I am going to get a 17" MBP with a 2.6GHz processor. I want to upgrade my RAM to 4GB but I would Prefer to upgrade with a 3rd party. I already Know where to Get it I just need to Know if this will void my warranty. Also I would like to know if there is any way to get a 320GB 7200 RPM hard drive installed without Voiding my warranty. And finally I would like to Know if I can Buy Apple Care about 3 months after I purchase the MBP?

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

- Upgrading RAM WILL NOT VOID your Warranty

- I think Hitachi makes 320GB a 7200RPM. You can only void your warranty if you break something in the computer...then your warranty will be void. I would take it to an Apple Authorized Repair Center.

-You can purchase AppleCare within 1 year of the computers purchase...so you can buy it within 3 months.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What noodle said, except upgrading your HDD does not void your warranty; it's a easy procedure especially on the 17". Obviously breaking something voids the warranty, but you're just a likely to break it using it, so why bother paying more for a technician when you can do it yourself? ;)

4. team 79 krunch thread starter macrumors member

team 79 krunch

Will they upgrade the Hard Drive at the Apple Store if I bring the Hard Drive with Me?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No.

The only thing they will install is memory that you buy from Apple.

6. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I highly doubt they will do it for you in the apple store. They would just make you order a configuration with a bigger hd.

I am not sure how easy/hard it is to exchange the hdd. I thought MBPs had to be completely disassembled?