Need a new macbook pro and have questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by team 79 krunch, Jul 9, 2008.

1. team 79 krunch macrumors member

team 79 krunch

Ok so I am 15 and need to get my first laptop for school. I have been a dedicated Mac user since I got my first computer when I was 7. I go to the Academy of Engineering at East Lake High school, (a project lead the way school!) I need to run CAD software, Autodesk Inventor, 3ds Max, and Autodesk REVIT. I am also a musician and would like to use Logic studio.

I am looking into a MacBook Pro 17". I have some questions about the configuration. Keep in mind that cost is NOT an issue for me at this point.

(1) how much difference in performance will I get if I upgrade my processor to 2.6GHz from 2.5GHz, and is it worth $250
    (2) can I put more than 4GB of RAM in my MBP, third party?
    (3) how much of a performance boost will I get by choosing the 200GB 7200 rpm hard Drive?
    (4) is the 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB on-chip shared L2 Cache running 1:1 with processor speed a 64-BIT processor?
    (5) will a MBP even run the programs I listed above ( with boot camp running windows yuck!!!!!)
    (7) will upgrading the processor kill my battery life?
    (8) does the MBP play Blu-ray disks?
    (9) I bought iWork for my iMac G5 and I already installed it on my iMac, can I use the same disk agian on my new MBP?
    (10) Can I upgrade the Graphics card?

thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

1) Maybe a few percent, probably not noticeable.
    2) I dont think the MBPs can handle more than 4GB at all.
    3) For what you are doing, the 7200 rpm probably wont make a noticeable difference.
    4) Yes, all Core2Duo procs are 64bit
    5) Yes, get XP for bootcamp - vista will take too much power that you'll want for the CAD programs.
    6) You forgot 6
    7) It wont kill it, but it may shorten it some.
    8) No, the internal drive is not yet BluRay. You can probably get an external BD drive, but unless you get the 17" HD screen upgrade, it wont matter.
    9) If you uninstall it from the G5, yes.
    10) In the MBP, No.

3. iphonematt Guest

1) The difference is hardly noticeable in regular usage. If you just randomly have $250 on hand, go ahead but for me it isn't worth $250.
    2) You can put in 8GB, but it isn't in Apples spec and costs a ridiculous amount. Get 4gb now and wait until 8gb comes down.
    3) Balance what you want.. more storage or speed? I prefer more storage. Speed increase will be good for video editing but most other tasks won't hugely benefit from the faster drive. Also, the faster drive will shortan battery life a small amount.
    4) Yes, 64 bit.
    5)Yes, I run The Autodesk Suite of Apps and Pro E just fine with XP pro under boot camp.
    6) No, but the faster hard drive will..
    7)No blueray discs yet..
    8) Not unless it is the family pack, it is worth noting that the pro apps can be installed on one desktop and one laptop so if you get Logic it can be out on both.
    9)Nope, GPU stays as is... it is soldered to the logic board.

4. team 79 krunch thread starter macrumors member

team 79 krunch

cool, so I can put Logic Studio on both of my Mac's, but will it run on my iMac G5?

5. team 79 krunch thread starter macrumors member

team 79 krunch

If I get a time capsule can I use time machine as well as using it to store files that I don't want on my hard drive, such as home movies?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think you can use time capsule as a regular network HD.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Here are the requirements for Logic Studio:

Minimum requirements to install all applications
    • Mac computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor (PowerPC G5, Intel Core
    Duo, or Intel Xeon processor highly recommended)
    • 1GB of RAM (2GB or more highly recommended)
    • Display with 1024-by-768 resolution (1280-by-800 or higher recommended)
    • Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
    • QuickTime 7.2 or later
    • DVD drive for installation
    • PCI Express, ExpressCard/34, USB, or FireWire audio interface recommended
    Additional recommendations for Logic Pro
    • At least 2GB of RAM for large EXS instruments
    • USB musical keyboard (or suitable MIDI keyboard and interface) for instruments
    • Logic Node requires a Mac computer with a PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, or Intel Xeon
    processor and Gigabit Ethernet

Additional recommendations for MainStage
    • At least 2GB of RAM for large EXS instruments
    • USB musical keyboard, control surface, or guitar pedal board (or suitable MIDI control
    device and interface)
    • Standard graphics card in any Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iMac with Intel Core Duo, Power
    Mac G5, or iMac G5
    Surround requirements for Logic Pro and Soundtrack Pro
    • Mac computer with dual PowerPC G5 processors or an Intel Core Duo or Xeon processor
    • Multichannel audio interface
    Available disk space
    • 7GB to install all applications and required content
    • Additional 39GB to install all optional content (large content packages can be installed
    on separate disk):
    – 10GB for Jam Pack collections
    – 16GB for sound effects
    – 6GB for surround music beds
    – 7GB for other optional content

8. team 79 krunch thread starter macrumors member

team 79 krunch

has anyone got the $100 17" screen upgrade? and is it as good as Apple say's?

9. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Hi-res LED lighting > normal LCD. Worth every penny. Saves power and looks way better.

And wow, what kind of high school needs you to use CAD? Shoot o_O...

10. hitnrun7 Guest

mine did, although i was taking some engineering\architecture classes...

11. Jimmizilla macrumors newbie

Ha! My high school is named Eastlake High School, but we don't have intense classes like that! We do have a CAD class though...

I'm reading here that you're considering the 17". I would recommend the 15" for portability. The 17" compared to the 15" is a PAIN to carry around everywhere daily. Also, If you're comfortable, you could upgrade your internal HDD up to 500GB 5400RPM or 320GB 7200RPM yourself. That would void the warranty however.

If you have any questions, just ask!

EDIT:
    Time Capsule... I have a 500GB one and have been trying to partition it for my scratch disk for FC. I haven't figured out a way to do it without opening the thing up and removing the HDD, which is kind of annoying. I am going to try putting a USB hub on it and attaching an external HDD to the hub once I get enough money though...

12. team 79 krunch thread starter macrumors member

team 79 krunch

:apple:personally the 1 pound difference is nothing compared to the 1.6" of screen real-estate. Also can I take my MBP into an Apple store with a 320GB 7200-RPM drive in hand and have them do the upgrade, or any way that I wouldn't void the warranty? With all the rumors going around about GPU failure a voided warranty is the last thing I want:apple: