Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dekkazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Ok so I have a set up of an Airport Extreme Router and a Thomson Speed touch Modem with NAT settings of strict.

I've rang up my ISP (AAPT) and they told us that we need to search around for a new modem (just the modem not a router/modem combo).

So if anyone has any suggestions on which modem works well with Airport Extreme and has open NAT settings or any other ways I can go about getting an open NAt type (other than port forwarding) it would muchly appreciated.

Thank you for any replies

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
So if anyone has any suggestions on which modem works well with Airport Extreme and has open NAT settings or any other ways I can go about getting an open NAt type (other than port forwarding) it would muchly appreciated.
You might be out of luck trying a new modem. As far as I know, and have seen personally, the modem has nothing to do with how Open your NAT settings appear to a console. The router is where the problems come from. And sadly, port forwarding often is the best solution. If your router has a option for turning on "UPnP" that can sometimes help. But as to your original question, I personally don't think that a new modem will change things one bit for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.