Need a new PC (Winblows)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frisco, Dec 26, 2013.

?

Windows 7 or 8 on a new Windows Machine?

1. Winblows 7

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. Winblows 8

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Sorry--don't know our care about Windows

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Frisco macrumors 68020

Hate to say it but I need to buy a Windows Machine. My main concern is that everything is Win 8 (not easy to find a Win 7 machine), which I hear stinks. Can I still get a Win 7 Machine? I hear Microsoft wants all the new software designed for Win 8. Those tiles will drive me nuts!

Second concern is brand? Any recommendations? I hear Asus is okay.

So should I buy a PC with Win 7 or Win 8?

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I like windows 8 better, although is almost the same as 7. Rarely use Metro or any of it's apps with the exception of the Email app. Extremely stable. I've had more freezing on OSX ML and Mav than on Win 8, and my Win 8 machine is much lower spec.

Asus makes great machines, but no matter what brand you go for, it all comes down to the specific model not just the brand.

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I don't think windows 7 machines are still on the market, at least not at the major resellers. I think you can still find them on newegg.com though, and narrow down the search by doing a power search for all the windows 7. I personally don't like windows 8, but those touchscreen laptops make it feel better.

Here are some links to windows 7 computers

Laptops:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=32&N=100006740%20600004968%20600337724%20600004970%20600004973&IsNodeId=1&IsPowerSearch=1

Desktops:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=10&N=100019096%20600014644%20600014645%20600014646&IsNodeId=1&IsPowerSearch=1

All-in-ones:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=3309&N=100023501%20600014644%20600337538%20600014645&IsNodeId=1&IsPowerSearch=1

4. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Thank you both for your replies. I appreciate it!

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I say Windows 8(.1).

I hate Metro as much as the next guy, but with Windows 8.1, it is very possible to only see the Metro desktop once (when you first boot the OS). You can set it to boot directly to desktop, and install a start menu.

Then you never have to touch Metro again. And still have a very stable and current Windows system.

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Windows 8. Most stable and solid release of Windows since... Windows 7.

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

What I need is a mac I lie Macs always wanted a Mac but never had a Mac and rarely get to use a Mac. With that said if you can get windows 7!!! I got a PC right after windows 8 cuz my computer died. Witch was probably good cuz I was able to get a windows 7 and I didn't want and still don't want a windows 8. What brand should you get well I have always got HP and as bad as I want a apple computer the next best thing (by next I mean the one that's falls about 50,000 story's down the list.) is HP

9. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

If I had to buy a Windows laptop I'd go for a Lenovo, desktop would be custom build, and tablet would be Surface.

I like Windows 7, but 8 is faster and you don't really have to use the tile setup from what I've heard.

10. Clubber macrumors member

I would get Windows 7, but that's because I don't care for the Win8 interface. Not just Metro, but the plain, flat L&F as well.

I run Win7 via VM on my MacBook Pro for my Windows based work. I've tried Win8* several times but just can't stick with it.

If you are accustomed to XP/Vista, Windows 7 will be easy to switch to. Windows 8 has problems with being intuitive to a Windows Classic user, IMO.

11. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I too was faced with this choice a few weeks back when doing a fresh bootcamp installation. I've really come to enjoy Win 7 as I have to use dual instances of it at work. However, its no longer officially sold.

I ended up with Win 8.1, which is pretty nice once you get over floating tile shock at initial boot. The OS really comes alive if your new machine has touch screen capability.

12. zen macrumors 68000

zen

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You didn't say if you were in the market for a laptop or desktop.

Strangely, I've recently specced some Dell desktops (XPS 8700) and they ship with Windows 8 (non-Pro) or Windows 7 Pro. Nice box BTW with the i7-4770 it creams by 2008 and 2009 Mac Pros.

I really want 8.1 Pro (the version shipped preinstalled by OEMs comes with downgrade rights). Go figure. They only offer that with the XPS 8700 Special Edition.

B

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    If money's no object, and you're in the market for a laptop, the Asus Zenbook Infinity is the best ultrabook money can buy. In Apple terms, think of it as a 13" Macbook Pro in the thin, sleek body of the 13" Air.

...at the price of a 15" Pro

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go with Windows 8 machine at theist point - its stable, and you'll be getting the updates to improve it and you can set it up to use the start menu instead of the metro UI

17. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Windows 8.

Windows 8 with its 8.1 update is the best version of Windows ever to come out besides NT 4 and 2000.

Its lightweight, very secure and easy to use. I mean damn, it'll run on a Pentium III, I would actually put it above OSX 10.9 that I have on my beloved iMac.

Everything is pretty much instant, and I can't say Ive ever had Windows 8 crash on me, or have a forced reboot.

With or without a touch screen, Windows 8 will take some time to figure out, but once you do. You'll realize its much better laid out than OSX/Other Windows and most Linux distros.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    ...unless you start using Metro apps, then it gets all kinds of goofy, with two separate sets of controls and functions to control two entirely separate sets of applications.

Granted, using Metro apps is entirely optional, and with 8.1 you're not forced into one or the other, besides the new Start screen, which is functionally identical to the old Start menu even if it does look rather different. This is the root of all Win8 complaints you see about on the internet, though, so it's worth acknowledging.

19. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

This is true,

However with 8.1 as you stated you don't need to worry about metro apps.

8.1 can also be set to boot directly to the desktop.

I personally perfer the Metro button and new search to the old start menu.

20. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

It depends upon what you need to do with it. For instance, I have a work at home job and the company (like many others) haven't supported IE 11 in Windows 8.1 yet. There's that, but if you don't work at home, Windows 8 isn't so bad. I still would buy one and then get a copy of Windows 7 and install it. Plus, I hear the Linux GRUB menu won't work well with Windows 8, which sucks.

21. malman89 macrumors 68000

Immature title aside, go with Windows 8.1.

If you really can't adapt to a new OS, then there's still a fair amount of Windows 7/7 Pro options around. Even more if you look at OEM business lines instead of consumer options.

22. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The only problems I've heard about have come from people who don't understand that BIOS/CSM/Legacy mode and UEFI mode aren't compatible. In other words, you can't boot UEFI Windows once you've booted in BIOS mode. The solution is installing grub in UEFI mode.

23. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

That may be correct. I've never tried it before with Windows 8. My wife has a laptop with 8 on it, but my desktop has 7, which is a breeze with installing Linux.

24. localoid, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

It's more involved on newer PCs/laptops. Most new machines use UEFI firmware that replaces traditional BIOS and PCs certified for Windows 8 require UEFI booting by default. EFI 2.2 implemented a protocol known as "secure boot" which prevents an "unsigned" OS from booting, however "secure boot" can be disabled. Grub2 supports EFI-mode booting.

25. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    When I needed a new desktop, I had it custom built and went with Windows 7 because I think Win 8 is ugly and didn't want to invest any time in learning how to kill its ugliness, or work around its idiosyncrasies.

With a custom built rig, you get to choose your apps and don't have to deal with the crapware that comes with name brands.