Need a new phone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gunny011, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Gunny011 macrumors regular

Hi

I'm getting a new phone tomorrow due to my contract getting canceled by accident by my carrier and have been offered a free phone and new contract!

This courtesy and goodwill offer is only available to me for about 1 week and I'm wondering if I should just get any old iPhone (4 or the 3gs) just to use as a phone and the odd bit of internet when out and about.

Will I be missing out on much if i do this interms of the new iPhone 5? I already have an iPad 2 and I use that for gaming and browsing at home and I still will even with an iPhone 4 or 3gs. The phone will just be used as a phone anyway really!

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

If you get a free phone, I'd go with the iPhone 4.

It's not like you can wait for the iPhone 5 anyhow. Get the best available.

3. bandw macrumors member

4. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

As no details of the iPhone 5 are known it's not possible to say what you'd miss out on. I would go iPhone 4 now if I was in your situation.

5. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Depends on need. Do you NEED one today? Since you're going to be locked into a new contract if you have the option to wait, I would. But if you need it right now, I'd take it. Can't beat a free iphone!

As an alternative, if you're willing to fork over the money for the iphone 5, are you willing to use prepaids?

Since you said you use the ipad 2 a lot more and the iphone will just be a phone, get the 4, its a great phone IMO

6. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

agreed get the best you can get. don't think of it as you missed out on the 5, think of it as you got upgraded for free, even if you had a 4 before, you are getting a brand new one, how lucky of you :D

7. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

For now, get the iPhone 4. Then, when iPhone 5 comes out, and if it's as good as we hope it is, sell your iPhone 4. For sure, you would get $400 or more (keep it in pristine condition). The price difference for an unsubsidized iPhone 5 (going on past prices) would probably come out about the same (599-400 = 199). This way, your next year's upgrade eligibility would be sooner.

8. Gunny011 thread starter macrumors regular

Just an update guys..

I got the iPhone 4 for free which is cool.

I feel I won't miss out too much on the iPhone 5 as my iPad 2 has the dual core processor etc and the 5MP camera on the iPhone 4 will suit me just fine, it is a really nice design!

I'm due an upgrade next september 2012 so ill just upgrade to the iPhone 6 then!

Cheers

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

Good decision. Frankly speaking the iPhone 4 itself is a very powerful device. I doubt it would make 4 users really jump the gun to 5.

10. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Good choice going with the iPhone 4. If I were you I'd wait and see what the iPhone 5 brings to the table. If it's something you want, then sell this pretty much new iPhone 4 to offset the cost to buy the iPhone 5. If you don't like the iPhone 5, then you've just gotten an iPhone 4 fro free. You really are in a good position right now.