Need a new router - which one should I get?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Neocortex27, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Neocortex27 macrumors newbie

I want to replace my router - it's several years old, and I keep having to replug it in every time I want to use my laptop in order to get a signal. Also, I currently have a comcast modem, which works fine.

I'm just confused about which one to get. There is apple express, apple extreme, and apple time capsule. Which one is the best? I would like the back-up capabilities of time capsule, but is this also a modem AND a router? I only need a router, not a modem.

Sorry if these are dumb questions!

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

All of Apple's Base Stations are routers only and do not have any modem functionality. Any of the three would work for your situation, however since you have expressed that you would like the backup functionality, the Time Capsule would be best.

http://www.apple.com/compare-wifi-models/

3. aicul macrumors 6502a

I understand an AirportExtreem+Ext. Hard Disk will behave like a TC.

The advantage of this setup is that you can use in a "cheaper" HD and switch it any time no problem.

The TC is full enclosed, more sleek and elegant but you are constrained to Apple chosen products, etc...

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

To add to the comment above, the Extreme with an HDD connected is not officially supported by Apple. Although it may work, that may not last forever. And if you need to troubleshoot any issues that arise with Apple, they will not be able to help you.

5. Neocortex27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input! I will probably get the time capsule then. I just hope I can find it on sale somewhere :)

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan