Need a "One Trick Pony"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drglenn, Feb 6, 2009.

1. drglenn macrumors newbie

My entire office runs on Mac. Currently, I have been using an old 700 MHz iMac flat panel as a server for the database that runs my office. Obviously, it is SLOW. The DB needs Leopard to run, and I have tricked the old iMac into accepting 10.5.x. But the machine is old and tired, and what I need is a machine with at least USB 2.0, a Superdrive, gigabit ethernet and a reasonably speedy processor. What I don't need is expansion capabilities, mobility, and lots of storage space. What I really want is a "one trick pony" machine that just runs the database - but runs it well. The machine will be required to just do this one task, and backup efficiently. The current machine doesn't seem to be able to handle backups or TimeMachine very well without overloading. TimeMachine won't complete at all - fresh install, freshly initialized disk.

Any cost-effective ideas? If not, I'll wait for the next iMac...

Thanks!

2. mags631 Guest

How about a Mini? A dual-core mini with maxed RAM might be a good option.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Mac Mini sounds ideal.

You can pick them up cheap on ebay or for $599 brand new.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

Wait a while though because an update is rumoured for them soon.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Any intel mac would be much faster.

You can do it with Mac Mini, but ideally mac Pro
    you can get refurb sometimes but they come and go.
    (or a used PowerMac if you test them)

5. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

There were refurb'd iMac 20" in the Mac Store today for $999. Seems like a reasonable deal...

6. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

I would advise against the mini, since this will be running a DB, and doing a lot of disk i/o, and the mini has a laptop HDD.

Is it just a MySQL database, or is it in filemaker or something? If it's mysql, you could just build a linux box, and that would work fine.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yeah iMac uses desktop drives. Mini uses laptop drives. iMac are a pretty good deal.

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The OP could just plug a FireWire external into the mini and use that for primary storage. It would be faster than the internal drive, too.

9. seb-opp macrumors 6502

Surely a mac pro is overkill. The OP wont even need the pro's graphic capabilities or that much processor power! The OP also mentioned it had to be cost effective. A pro would only be cost effective if it was to be in use for at least 6 or more years

People have been talking about the 2.5 drive in the mini being a problem, the OP could replace it with a 7200rpm drive instead, or as someone else suggested, plug in a firewire external.

10. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Or a used iMac (although the 1 year warranty that comes with refurbs is hard to beat).

Another plus for the iMac is that in an absolute emergency, it could function as a replacement if you needed an additional workstation.