Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I spend a lot of time listening to music - I like all kinds of genres, but most time I still spend listening to hip-hop. For years I've been using the speakers that came with my mini hi-fi system and have had them plugged into my Macbook Pro through AUX output. The sound is not bad, though they are probably not accurate at all in terms of sound reproduction, that's why I decided to buy a pair of decent studio monitors - because I would like to have accurate and crisp sound.

My budget is about $350. Here are the specifications of my current speakers:

- 2x30W RMS / 2x60W Music Power
- 2" Tweeter, 5.25" Woofer
- 50-15,000 Hz

Now I've been eying a couple of pairs of speakers, but I have no idea which one would be better, hence I'd need some of your help:

Mackie MR5 / MR8(?)
Behringer TRUTH B2031
Alesis M1 520
M-Audio Studiophile BX5A

Here's what troubles me, though: is it even worth buying a pair of 5"-woofer speakers (studio monitors) as compared to my current system? Would the difference in sound be big enough to justify the purchase?

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Just in case you're not aware of this, any good studio monitors are going to have flat sound, though accurate, doesn't make for the most enjoyable music listening situation (as some people feel).

That said, my vote would be for the TRUTH B2031's. Will you notice a difference? That depends on your hearing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.