Need A Perfect Case/Bag for my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nikiski, Feb 8, 2008.

1. nikiski macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have used The Booq Vyper M2 for my MacBook Pro 15" for almost 8 months now. It's not perfect but it does protect my precious notebook from scratching.

But there's this annoyance: I can't access the ports, nor the drive without having to either lift it up or remove the case entirely!

I'm looking for a case, and it needs to do better than what the Booq does now:
    1. The ports and the Superdrive must be usable without lifting the notebook, or removing it from the case.
    2. The lid button must be easily accessible when the laptop is closed.
    3. Gives enough protection that my precious MBP won't get dings and bumps =)

I saw this at a shop, it is almost perfect, except for point #2: The lid button "hides" inside the top "shell" and I can't access the button without pulling the shell out a little.

Does anyone have suggestions for me? Discussions are welcomed. If you can convince me I may not need all the 3 points satisfied =)

Oh, and I want to avoid hard cases if possible.

Thanks in advance. ;)

*Note: Yes I have searched all posts, but I don't see any particular bag/case that meets all the requirements. I'm picky. =P

2. Doktag macrumors newbie

Nikiski, it is a very valid question. I see my friend get annoyed with it all the time. He can't just unzip the laptop case and open it, he has to take it completely out of the case, and then sit it on top. Especially annoying when you're operating it from your lap.

With that case you linked, given that they put so much thought into accessibility of ports, surely they would've thought about how you would open it while it is inside the case?

If not, that case still might be perfect for me - if Apple puts magnetic latches on the new MBPs. :D

3. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

The Speck See thru case is good, comes in clear, or different colors. There are also "sleeves" that are cushioned to protect it.

4. nikiski thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply. That's very true. I might end up taping the lid hooks.. :p

5. nikiski thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply. The Speck cases... well, I don't know. I've never been too keen on hard cases. The sleeves... well, I'd rather not have to physically take my notebook out, besides, there's no protection when the notebook is being used. Thanks for your recommendations though. If you have any other suggestions please let me know ;)

6. Mr. Funsocks macrumors regular

If you find one let me know. I'm getting a MBP when they refresh them (soon I hope.) and I will certainly need a new case for it. Thanks.

7. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

how much are you looking to spend?
    vaja has some really nice hand- made leather cases for the MBP line. i have a vaja case for my iphone and i love it.

but because of the quality the dont run cheap.

they start at $160 and go up to about $450 (USD)

but you can have them personalized with your name and hundreds of different color combos.

PS, running your laptop inside of a case could be very bad for it as your trapping all of the heat

8. eddy64 macrumors regular

I'm not sure since I've never personally owned one but, I have heard great things about the iskin products. My cousin always buys thier ipod cases and is really happy. Maybe you should check out the MBP case they have there:

http://www.iskin.com/soho/?cart=1202528290341402

Does anybody own this case personally? Any feedback? thanks.

9. nikiski thread starter macrumors regular

Oh boy, $450 for a laptop case is indeed a little much. I was hoping for something around $100. :eek:

10. Macsleuth macrumors member

Speck See thru

Got a black one on my MBP 15.4".
    It's cool, I can access all the ports.
    Love the fact that my case won't be getting scratched or dinged.
    Forget the type of carry case I'm using, got it off the Apple site, 3rd party.
    G

11. Mr. Funsocks macrumors regular

I've heard that the speck cases scratch the mbp. Not happening for you?

12. DocSmitty macrumors regular

13. nikiski thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, it looks promising! Only if they hurry up and ship now ;)

Thanks for your recommendation. :D

14. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

that vaja looks awesome, would that fit in a messenger bag as well?