Need a Point in the Right Direction here..

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Contraversy, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Contraversy macrumors newbie

Hey,

Thanks for reading! I am looking to create a small bot for Messages that will respond with a "Message" if a user types a command, say "!rules, or /rules" inside a chatroom.

I found an AppleScript in the Developer Documentation site for use with iChat, and it was perfect, but indeed, for iChat and not Messages.

Can those iChat applescripts be modified/used for messages? Or can iChat itself be installed onto Mountain Lion and use them?

Is there currently a plugin platform or applescript method for Messages? I want to learn but I need to know where to look first. I am a windows programmer by hobby, but looking forward to expanding to Mac also.

thanks for any info you might be able to share with me

2. robvas macrumors 68030

what kind of chat room? Can you just use an IRC bot?

3. Contraversy thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I am not using IRC. I am assuming you read my entire post, so I am going to ask this: Can you connect to a Messages chatroom via IRC? If so, I'm very fluent in IRC bots.

--If not, then:

I want to be able to log into a chatroom on messages, and idle there. If a user in the chatroom types a command (for example !!rules) it will respond to them.

While waiting for a reply to this original post, I have found a resource and started coding an AppleScript for this, and it seems to be working so far.

Unless anyone has a better suggestion, I will continue doing it this way.