Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a program that would be more flexible with making posters than MS Word, but some thing not a complicated/detailed as the Adobe programs. The main reason being that I would need to make many posters and don't have the time to be using the Adobe programs.

Any suggestions would be great, Thanks!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
In that case and if you have Office, some have suggested using Powerpoint in the past which works surprisingly well for simple and effective posters.

Depends on how you're going to print it...

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Pages springs to mind. It's much easier to move elements with graphics and text around than in Word.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I'll throw in a vote for Pages as well. Certainly better than Word and much cheaper than anything from Adobe. Some of the poster templates are pretty decent too.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I've used PowerPoint on my PC at work for posters and it's been surprisingly good - dead easy certainly. I expect it would be even nicer using the mac version.

kygeographer

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2005
Dallas, TX
I've used PowerPoint for making posters for academic presentations with very good luck.

However, if you choose to go this route, plenty of RAM is essential, depending on how big the poster is.. PowerPoint can be a memory hog!

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
I think I'll give PowerPoint a try. I didn't think of the idea at first because I was assuming that it would be the same as Word. But now that you mention it, it makes sense that it would be better for making posters. Pages might be better, but I think (for now anyways) I'll go for the free alternative:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.