need a program that will do what remote desktop does on a PC

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jeff4h, Dec 23, 2011.

1. jeff4h macrumors newbie

I just got my Imac four days ago and love it. It makes my pc seem like a toy. I need a program that will let me log into another terminal. PC's come with a program called 'remote desktop connection.What does Mac have that will let me do that on my iMac. I am going to be renting maybe 10 and eventually as many as 50 Virtual Private Computers in 10 to 50 different cities and need to be able to connect to them from my iMac. All I will be doing is sending messages. No large file transfers. Ive read about logmein but didn't know how many computers you could control. I will only be sending one message at a time. Im new here so thanks in advance. This is my first post

2. jeff4h thread starter macrumors newbie

Im on Lion 10.7.2 and it was a clean install not a upgrade. when I bought my iMac it was supposed to have lion already installed but had snow lepord so I had to download it. I suppose that makes it a clean install not a upgrade. Thanks for the help. Anymore advice is greatly appreciated Jeff

3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Still didn't say what your connecting to, e.g. Lion, windows 7, etc..

But I like vnc viewer I can connect to my macs or pcs from it and they also have an iPad app where I can do it from the iPad as well.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. It's also free for personal use (one connection at a time). I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

5. jeff4h thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill be connecting to windows 7 Ill be renting VPC's in different towns so the people will know what they are doing

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I connect daily to W7 boxes from Mac OS X. You can also do the reverse.

7. jeff4h thread starter macrumors newbie

so how do you do it what program are you using Ive never done anything like this before Jeff

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Who are you asking?

9. jeff4h thread starter macrumors newbie

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you see my earlier post?

11. sn424 macrumors newbie

Assuming you can connect to the virtual servers with a Window Remote Desktop Client already you could use either the Microsoft RDC for the Mac or use CoRD. Either option works fine.