Need A Program To Schedule My Life Routines

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by motulist, Jan 21, 2010.

1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I need your help to find a Mac application!

I have a very irregular schedule which changes all the time, and I often do a lot of work from home, so I need a program that'll help me get myself together in the mornings and get me on the right track. Often times I'll wake up and waste a bunch of time and then start working before I've showered or brushed my teeth, and it winds up making me struggle through my work because I feel like I haven't woken up yet. Then I realize what's happening and I take a shower and brush my teeth (etc.) in the middle of the day, and then I finally am in good shape to get work done, but it's already late in the day and I wasted a ton of time.

Here's what I need this program to do:

I want to be able to simply click the app's icon in my dock, and it'll start counting down to the first item on my event list. 1 hour after I started the app it'll ring an alarm and pop up a window saying "Go brush your teeth". Then 15 minutes after that another alarm will ring and it'll say "Go take a shower."

iCal or other calendars won't do it, because I'm always waking up at different times of day as my schedule changes, and I can't be futzing around with moving event times around when I just woke up. I need something where I can simply click the app's icon in my dock and it'll start a countdown timer to alert me to each item I've programed in.

I googled but couldn't find anything like this. This program idea seems SO simple, and seems like it'd be SO useful to SO many people (like freelancers, students, people who travel to different times zones, etc.). There MUST be a program like this out there! Only YOU can help me find it!

2. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

I rule! I created almost exactly what I wanted using automator! It's a little bit clunky interface-wise, like having to initially set up the event launch times through automator.app and having to set in the delay times written in seconds rather than minutes or hours, but who cares! It even has a sort of "snooze" feature, which is something I always wanted it to have but didn't even bother asking for in my original request because I thought I was already asking for something very specific.

I've uploaded the automator workflow file so that other people can use this script application also!

Just double click the workflow to open it in automator, type in the amount of time it should wait till it alerts you to your next event, then "Save As" a "format: Application". Then just do the same thing for the next even you want it to trigger.

Enjoy! And please let me know if you found this useful.

Attached Files:

3. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

Damn! WTH?! Why doesn't automator's "Pause" action let you input more than a 59 second pause!!! That destroys my whole application!

Attached Files:

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You could add a shell script which just consists of

sleep 60

to pause for 60 seconds. An hour would be 3600 (60 times 60), and so forth.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You need Spouse 1.0

6. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

Spouse 1.0, Kid 1.0 or Girlfriend 1.0 would all have a similar effect, since clearly Job 1.0 isn't getting it done.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Is the beta testing done on that one yet? I keep hearing of compatibility issues.

8. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

Girlfriend 1.0 doesn't have this feature in my version of it. And Spouse 1.0 and Kid 1.0 are both still thankfully not released in my regional market yet. And the Job 1.0 I'm using is the Self Employment + Student pack. That said, I've solved the technical problems with the automator workflow by using applescripts in place of the automator actions which were stupidly designed and didn't work properly.

As I'm winding down for the night, I click the "On Track" app icon in my dock. When I wake up there's a window telling me to start my day. After I click OK on that window, it starts my time-delayed reminder dialog messages that keep my morning on track. I tried it out this morning and it totally saved my butt from being too late!

I've attached the final version of the script and app so that if anyone else is interested in using it they can use it as is, or customize the whole thing to suit them personally.

Attached Files: