need a quick yes or no answer!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Advil, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Advil macrumors 6502a

I am headed to the apple store to get my 3gs replaced, i know that they recently released newer 3gs phones that weren't jailbreak-able right away. are these finally jailbroken with pwnagetool/blackra1n?

if not i'm just going to keep my messed up phone, thanks!

2. yoshe200 macrumors member

I got mine replaced recently (December 2009) and I was able to jailbreak right away with no problems.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe :)
    if you're lucky you will get one with the old bootrom.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

All iPhones are jailbreakable. If you have the newer 3GS, though, your jailbreak will be tethered. You should not buy an iPhone intending to jailbreak until you have read this thread. It has all the answers you need.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Replacement phones are generally re-manufactured so they have the old bootrom.

If the 2nd digit of your serial number is a letter instead of a number, it is a re-manufactured phone.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats true.
    You have alot better chances with refurbs than with new iphone models.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Agreed, so far it seems the refurbs are still those with the older bootrom.

8. greenle2 macrumors newbie

Guys I need your suggestion as well. I am thinking of buying re-manufactured iphone but I can't make up my mind. Will this be good? Is the repair work major in re-manufactured products?

9. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

re manufactured phones are just as good as new ones. The re manufactured ones need to go through a lot of tests before they are sold so it should be fine.

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

When I had my 3G, I actually went thru two of the 3G phones until at last (third try) I got a re-manufactured 3G from Apple and it worked better than the new one.

Should be OK.

11. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Bought a 3Gs 32gb on 12/26 (was a tethered jb). Developed some odd speaker problem about a week later....where it would play static for 4-5 seconds after any application accessed the bottom speaker (not the earphone speaker). Got really hot when this happened.

Went to Apple Genius Bar on 1/4. Replaced with a refurb 3Gs that appears to be a week 50 refurb, but it is NOT a tethered jb. :D

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The date on refurb units (3rd, 4th & 5th digit of sn) is the date of re-manufacture, not date of original manufacture. That's why the refurb units are still older bootrom.