Need a Quiet Hard Drive for the Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tangerine, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Tangerine macrumors regular

Tangerine

I just got a 500GB Seagate Barrucuda Hard Drive from New Egg. Though it was a good deal, it was too noisy for me. I want to return it and get a more quiet Hard Drive. Can anyone give me some suggestion? I only own Seagate Hard Drive so far. Are Western Digital any quieter?

Thanks in advance!

2. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

The SilentPCReview website is rather useful for such inquiries.
    I took their advise and ordered a couple of Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KS drives.... They are nice and quiet.... particularly when compared to the 250GB Seagate my Mac Pro came with...

3. Tangerine thread starter macrumors regular

Tangerine

I bought a similar Hard Drive like this at Best Buy, but it required a power molex adapter to work. I thought this will not work on the Mac Pro? Since I try it, and without the power adapter the Hard Drive is not readable.

[​IMG]

The one you purchase, where did you buy it? Any chance New Egg have it as well?

4. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

I got mine from www.misco.co.uk here in the UK. Here's a direct link.
    I think you can power the drive either through the molex/IDE *or* through the SATA connector. It should work straight out of the box. All I had to do was mount it on the brackets and slot it in place. Did you try the drive in the Mac Pro?

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The Western Digital drives are quiet, as Lone Deranger says, but the newer samsung spinpoints are the best for noise concerns.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You must have gotten a first-generation SATA drive 2 years ago, all current SATA drives have SATA power connectors. A few in the interim had both Molex and SATA. You can get SATA - Molex adaptors, but really, there should be no SATA drives sold today with only Molex.

7. Tangerine thread starter macrumors regular

Tangerine

It look like this, it's Sata Interface but it have a power molex connector as well. I couldn't get the Mac Pro to read the Hard Drive when I stick it in.

[​IMG]