Need a recommendation for a new all in one printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by quagmire, Mar 7, 2014.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

My parents old HP all in one printer finally crapped out after 10-14 years. Need one that can fax, scan, print, and copy.

Looking up reviews on CNET, PCMag, etc they recommend ones like the HP Officejet Pro 8600, Canon Pixema MX922, Epson WorkForce 845, Canon Pixma MX870, etc. Those places love them. But, reading actual user reviews paints a different story. All complain about it broke in a short manner of time, can't get the fax feature to work, eats ink, won't work if a color cartridge is empty for a B&W document, etc.

Any help?

2. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

I've owned many HP printers, and not one of them lasted very long, except for my original LaserJet, which wouldn't die. The most frustrating part was that they died slowly, not catastrophically so that I could recycle them without regret. Right now, I have one HP inkjet whose scanner leaves a thick black vertical stripe on all scans, and whose printer jams frequently, will no longer print on both sides of the page, and will not feed 4x6 photo paper from the 4x6 photo paper tray. Other than that, it works fine. :eek: I have another HP which has to be rebooted daily (unplug and replug) because it crashes, and it frequently produces fuzzy distorted print. It still prints duplex, however.

Being very frustrated with these, I recently bought a Brother MFC-9340 laser based on reviews from many sites. I have no idea if it will survive better than the HP machines, but my experience with other Brother printers suggests it probably will.

One thing I've realized is that it makes no sense to buy an inexpensive (cheap) home printer. Spend a few hundred and get a printer designed for office use. It will be cheaper in the long run.

3. IlikeMacsSoMuch, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

Hi, I use the HP Officejet pro 800 premium. I bought it 2 years ago and I use it on a daily basis. And it has AirPrint which is a must. I bought it at Staples, I don't know if you have staples where you are but I think Apple sells them too.

Edit.: At Apple Canada they do sell it

4. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

I've had good experience with HP printers. Like I said, the HP All in One my parents have lasted 10-14 years. I currently have a HP Photosmart 8250 that has been chugging along with no issues.

If they were to go HP again, it would be the OfficePro 8600 Plus which is $299 retail, but can get it from Amazon for $198. It's just the reviews are mixed. I expect a few negative reviews, but it seems like every printer I am looking at are not getting favorable reviews from actual users. Some say it is great, but just as many say it is a POS.

5. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

Hi I meant that very printer! 8600, I mistyped! Sorry! Go with that one and you won't be sorry

6. mfram macrumors 65816

I just got an HP Laserjet M425dn. I've verified I can copy, scan, and print. Haven't tried FAX, but the functionality is there. It supports direct network connection or USB. This is a slightly higher-end model with Duplex capability. There is a lower-end model with similar capabilities.

7. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Another vote for this printer, good on ink, wireless works great.

8. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I've owned the Epson Workforce 845 for over 2 years now and am quite pleased with it. No networking issues - it connected nicely to my WiFi network and prints from my iMac via WiFi as well as AirPrints from my iPad.

The copying function is convenient and fast, both BW and color. Duplexing works well. Ink usage is reasonable with the very large ink cartridges. Can't speak to the FAX function, as have never had occasion to use it. Probably not the best choice if you do a lot of photo printing, but for general home office use it does the job.

There is one possible issue with the SCAN function you may want to be aware of. When I first installed it there was a warning somewhere that you cannot scan wirelessly via WiFi to a Mac system. I seldom use scan, so when I do I just plug a thumb drive into the front of the printer and scan to that and use it to transfer the files to the iMac. It could very well be that later versions of the software or printer have corrected this limitation, but I don't know.

9. gc916 macrumors regular

gc916

I just bought an Epson WF-3520 and am very happy with it so far. Easy installation, AirPrint capable, fast printing and scanning. I don't use the fax function.

It's too soon to determine ink usage, but it can't be any worse than the HP it replaces.

In ref to above post, the 3520 will scan directly to my MacBook Pro.

10. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Went with the HP OfficePro 8600 Plus. The ink is pretty cheap compared to Epson, etc. Love the fact it has a duplexer so it can print on both sides.

11. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

You choose well, I really like mine! There are ink cartridge that have more ink so they last longer:
    hp 951 xl cyan
    hp 951 xl magenta
    hp 951 xl yellow
    hp 950 xl black

They are more expensive but not that much but they last much longer

12. Giuly, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Since I had a taste of laser printers, I wouldn't want an inkjet anymore, especially in the office. It has a laser, for christ's sake.

The Brother MFG-9330CDW would've also coped nicely with all your scan, (Air)print, fax and copy duties, including the duplex printing (there's even a model with duplex scanning as well), but those toners last for ages and are, compared to genuine cartridges for inkjets, somewhat less expensive (Epson may claim otherwise). And don't dry out all the time.

[​IMG]