Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
Hey all.

SoCal resident here in need of some better A/C power in my one bedroom apartment. I do not have central air so my room gets hot during the afternoon. I am in the market for a good evaporative cooler, could anyone be of help to recommend me a good unit? I don't know how much I should spend but I'm hoping it's no more than $100. Thanks for your input!

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA

A Window AC big enough for one room runs 90-120 dollars and will be a much better option.

Evap coolers are only effective in very hot areas like desserts, in a place like So Cal, you just peed away 100 bucks. They add humidity, not get rid of it.

Buy a Window AC. You'll be very happy with a basic unit.

Last edited:

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
While I totally agree with the AC recommendation: I wouldn't call SoCal a humid place. It's a huge area and - at least by area - much of it is arid and hot.

Yes, there are nice microclimates near the coast and that's what a lot of people think of when they think SoCal, but the truth is flatter, drier and hotter than that.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
A Window AC big enough for one room runs 90-120 dollars and will be a much better option.

Evap coolers are only effective in very hot areas like desserts, in a place like So Cal, you just peed away 100 bucks. They add humidity, not get rid of it.

Buy a Window AC. You'll be very happy with a basic unit.

Hmmm, I guess I didn't realize SoCal was particularly humid. Granted I've only been down there once, but I got the impression it was on the dried side.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away

Evaporative cooling is most effective when there's enough available headroom on the enthalpy curve to lower the dry bulb air temperature without bringing the relative humidity above about 60%. Looking at a psychrometric chart and ASHRAE weather data, there are very few climates that could safely (see below) benefit from one of these. Generally, they work best in places where the relative humidity is somewhat low (20-30%) and the dry bulb temperature is in the low 90's F or less.

Installing an evaporative cooler, regardless of climate, generally requires at least a semi-permanent water connection and drain. They can get pretty messy and be a bit of a chore to clean and maintain.

The more pressing issue is that these have been shown to promote the growth of black mold due to the lower temp and humidity in the environment they serve. That's a health hazard.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Evaporative cooling is most effective when there's enough available headroom on the enthalpy curve to lower the dry bulb air temperature without bringing the relative humidity above about 60%. Looking at a psychrometric chart and ASHRAE weather data, there are very few climates that could safely (see below) benefit from one of these. Generally, they work best in places where the relative humidity is somewhat low (20-30%) and the dry bulb temperature is in the low 90's F or less.

Installing an evaporative cooler, regardless of climate, generally requires at least a semi-permanent water connection and drain. They can get pretty messy and be a bit of a chore to clean and maintain.

The more pressing issue is that these have been shown to promote the growth of black mold due to the lower temp and humidity in the environment they serve. That's a health hazard.

Thanks for the explanation. I've used them quite a lot, but that's when I was in an extremely hot (100+ F) and dry environment. I didn't realize their useful operation was so narrowly constrained. Cheers!

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
In a humid area like SoCal, that will just make his living space worse. Not better.

Get a Window AC.
Referring to all of SoCal, as varied as it is, as humid is a bit naive.

We had one in Palm Springs that worked great (a/c too).

Have friends in San Bernadino that have one even now, and use it (again, with a/c as well).

I don't know of any a/c units for $100.

Mike

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
....I don't know of any a/c units for $100.

As you said, the climate here is quite varied.

I have friends with a window AC that they got from Target for around $115. It's good enough for one room, it's not going to do a whole apartment.......but maybe that's all that's needed

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Hey all.

SoCal resident here in need of some better A/C power in my one bedroom apartment. I do not have central air so my room gets hot during the afternoon. I am in the market for a good evaporative cooler, could anyone be of help to recommend me a good unit? I don't know how much I should spend but I'm hoping it's no more than $100. Thanks for your input!

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro....5&ei=BqbhU6L4J8qkyASQ1YGYBg&ved=0CPMBEKYrMAc

There you go.

----------

I don't know of any a/c units for $100

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro....5&ei=BqbhU6L4J8qkyASQ1YGYBg&ved=0CPMBEKYrMAc

For one room its perfect, and will perform much better than a Evap cooler for one room.

I've seen them as low as 85 dollars in even mom and pop stores on clearance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.