Need a reliable USB hub... Suggestions please

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stringtheorist, May 13, 2013.

1. stringtheorist macrumors regular

I've been using a Hewlett Packard 4-port USB hub for a few years now and it has finally decided to give up the ghost. All the ports now fail when I insert a USB cable. So I am looking for a reliable alternative. Should I get a USB 3.0 hub? What are some good models?

2. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

3. opinio macrumors 65816

Kanex makes good USB hubs. I use their 4 port USB 3.0 hub on a 2012 Mac mini. They are very Mac focused too.

4. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Hello - yes, you need to define your needs; I would definitely go w/ a USB 3.0 hub, IF your computer has USB 3.0 ports, otherwise the hub will be backward compatible w/ the older USB standard; second, I would suggest a 'powered' hub; and finally, how many ports do you needed (and always purchased more than anticipated).

For my new iMac w/ 3.0 USB ports, I purchased the Sabrent product below - did not need that many extra ports - fast - and powered; so far happy. :)

[​IMG]

5. thedeske macrumors 6502a

6. ColdCase, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

If you are going to be attaching hard drives to the hub, most USB 3.0 hubs have issues connected drives to a Mac (especially SSDs). They are usually fine for keyboards and syncing i devices. But their firmware doesn't support standard USB 3.0 features the Mac tries to use (i.e. a hub issue not a Mac issue). USB 2.0 is a simpler interface and typically is without issue unless a device draws too much power. Sleep is another source of possible incompatibility. Mixing 2.0 and 3.0 devices is another. Its a wild west out in 3.0 land.

The only hub I've seen so far that seems to be 100% compatible with all kinds of drives and is solid connected to a Mac running 10.8.3 is the Belkin Connect USB 3.0 4-Port Hub sold at apple stores and sometimes available elsewhere. It is a powered hub.

Attached Files: