Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Need a reliable USB hub... Suggestions please

stringtheorist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
I've been using a Hewlett Packard 4-port USB hub for a few years now and it has finally decided to give up the ghost. All the ports now fail when I insert a USB cable. So I am looking for a reliable alternative. Should I get a USB 3.0 hub? What are some good models?

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I've been using a Hewlett Packard 4-port USB hub for a few years now and it has finally decided to give up the ghost. All the ports now fail when I insert a USB cable. So I am looking for a reliable alternative. Should I get a USB 3.0 hub? What are some good models?

Kanex makes good USB hubs. I use their 4 port USB 3.0 hub on a 2012 Mac mini. They are very Mac focused too.

Comment

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina

Hello - yes, you need to define your needs; I would definitely go w/ a USB 3.0 hub, IF your computer has USB 3.0 ports, otherwise the hub will be backward compatible w/ the older USB standard; second, I would suggest a 'powered' hub; and finally, how many ports do you needed (and always purchased more than anticipated).

For my new iMac w/ 3.0 USB ports, I purchased the Sabrent product below - did not need that many extra ports - fast - and powered; so far happy. :)

Comment

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
If you are going to be attaching hard drives to the hub, most USB 3.0 hubs have issues connected drives to a Mac (especially SSDs). They are usually fine for keyboards and syncing i devices. But their firmware doesn't support standard USB 3.0 features the Mac tries to use (i.e. a hub issue not a Mac issue). USB 2.0 is a simpler interface and typically is without issue unless a device draws too much power. Sleep is another source of possible incompatibility. Mixing 2.0 and 3.0 devices is another. Its a wild west out in 3.0 land.

The only hub I've seen so far that seems to be 100% compatible with all kinds of drives and is solid connected to a Mac running 10.8.3 is the Belkin Connect USB 3.0 4-Port Hub sold at apple stores and sometimes available elsewhere. It is a powered hub.

Attachments

• HB357.jpg
    HB357.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.