Need a replacement iPod dock connector to USB cable. Apple or a knock-off brand?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by reubs, Aug 11, 2009.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

After an exhaustive search, I've determined that my iPod charging cable is gone. In fact, I think both of them in the house are gone. Sometimes things go missing with a two year old and a newborn, so don't judge me! :p

I'm wondering if folks would recommend paying Apple for their $19 brand name one or am I just as safe going with a knock-off from somewhere else? I'm still holding out that it'll appear in the next day, but the iPod is running low on juice; I don't know how much longer it'll hold out!

Thanks for any info on experiences with the options out there!

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I have a DLO brand wall/car charger and they work fine but I prefer using my OEM :apple: cables with them...

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Maybe you can go with the OEM cables but not from apple there are plently on ebay(not my listing)

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

might as well get a cheper cable, i mean it does the same damn thing

5. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Just pick one up on Amazon. You can get it for about 7 shipped. Just make sure it's authentic. Not that it's a big deal or anything, but still.

I did the same when I got a new car stereo.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Personally, I would use an Apple one, but I really don't think it makes a difference.

7. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I purchased one from eBay that cost a couple of pounds... looks a bit cheap and nasty but it's pretty sturdy and I don't mind leaving it plugged into the PC at work permanently.

Just use it for charging my iPhone.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've seen them at buy.com for less than $10. Apple's are a tipoff.

9. javflor macrumors newbie

I think you'd be just as happy with a non-Apple cable. Just stick to brands you recognize. I usually find great finds for my iPod at the discount stores such as Marshall's and TJ Maxx. My favorite iPod cables are the retractable versions.

10. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, folks. Turns out it is impossible to find an Apple USB/Dock connector cable in a retail store. I can find every other iPod accessory made by Apple, but I can't get my hands on the one cable I'm looking for. I even hit the ATT store, and they've only got Belkin cables in an ATT branded box. The thing is, though, is that they're all still $20. Call me crazy, but if I'm going to get a knock-off for the same price, I might as well get the real thing.

Even the local Apple authorized reseller doesn't have these cables in stock; they've got the dock connector/USB/Firewire cable, but they don't have the single cable.

For the record, I still haven't found the ones that I have lost, either.

11. highertechnology macrumors 6502

I have about 4 different brands and they all work.