Need a replacement router, which is honestly the best?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Goldinboy17, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

So my Netgear WNDR3700 has been extremely problematic recently. The wireless connection will just drop, only on the 2.4GHz frequency though. Since the majority of my items run off of that frequency I'm not too happy. I've been looking at the newest 4000 model but the reviews seem rather iffy on it. In fact, all of the ones I've been looking at seem to be problematic in some aspects. I was interested in either the Netgear WNDR4000, Cisco E4200 or the Airport Extreme. I've had beyond awful experiences with the Cisco Valet and the E3000 with incredibly short range so I'm definitely wary of Linksys products. My experiences with Netgear have been mixed. The routers work awesome - until they fail randomly with relatively short lifespans. I've never owned an Airport Extreme though and have avoided simply because it's an Apple product. No need to give friends yet another reason to call me a fanboy (the router's in a prominent position in the living room for best wireless coverage). If you can all give me your honest opinions on which I should buy without too much prejudice I'd appreciate it!

Honestly, I just need a device that can create a strong wireless signal to support all of my devices without collapsing.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Try flashing the WNDR3700 with DD-WRT to see if that helps anything. I guess you have nothing to lose at this point?

3. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Flashing to DD-WRT was an awful mess. Ended up bricking it. Thought I did something wrong, didn't see how though since it was so straight forward. Restored it and tried again, same results! Looks like a completely clean firmware installation really helped it out though, it works amazingly now! Thanks for your advice.