Need a review of the new SR MacBook...maybe a comparison

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zepharus, Dec 4, 2007.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Looking for a good review of it especially the screen and graphics. I would especially love a comparison from a user that went from a MBP to the new SR Macbook. Impressions? regrets? Will it play say World of Warcraft on anything but low etc etc. Thanks in advance..

2. Rustman macrumors regular

Rustman

Well, I've just received my first real Mac (2.2GHz MBP) and the screen is yellowed at the bottom 1/3, the top lights are visible shining down from the rim and lid doesn't close flush, with the right hand side lifted up at the corner.

Obviously it will be going back, but I don't think that I'm in the minority with these sort of problems. As it stands I may be downgrading to a standard MB too. :(

3. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I actually JUST went from a 2.0 CD MBP to a 2.2 SR C2D MBP. I have to say, maybe I was lucky, but I have had no yellowing issues, the screen is perfect. The lid closes fine. Also it runs A LOT cooler, the screen is brighter and more clear and I definitely get a better battery life because of the LED screen. The screen itself seems to sit higher up in the top bezel (not sure how to explain this, but before I had a larger amount of plastic/edge around the top of the screen (where the isight sits) and now it's more symmetrical with the bottom.

I purchased mine as a refurb, which may be the reason I had a so far (4 weeks and counting) a problem free lappy, as it had already been checked over for any defects twice over.

It's peppier then my last one by a good bit as well, and like I said runs a lot cooler, the fans have only gone one once while I was using VMfusion with solidworks and doing heavy rendering.

I don't game so I can't help you in that respect, but I'm sure it's great.

edit :i read your first post wrong, sorry. Thought you said MBP not MB. I've heard nothing but great things about the macbook actually, best one so far apparently. I think WOW plays fine on it but have no first hand experience. There is more and more good indication that there will be a more portable version of the MBP coming out soon though, so either way if I were you, I'd wait to see what January brings.

4. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

5. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

I own one (my first), didnt purchase to be able to game with it. Though I was tempted today and tried to play UT2004, it was playing, but definately not smooth! I heard WoW should be quite alright on a MB (I recommend 2Gb ram for WoW, it makes a difference).

The one game I play often and it plays very nicely is WarcraftIII, but I suppose that doesn't mean a lot :)