Need a router for PC and MAC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ivinho, Mar 23, 2009.

1. ivinho macrumors member

Hi everyone
    I need a WIRED router to use with my pc and mac. I had bad luck with a D-Link wireless before and would like to know what you are using.

Thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Any specific features that you're looking for?

3. schreck macrumors regular

4. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

I use Buffalo routers with DD-WRT at home. I also use the older Linksys WRT54G/GS models with DD-WRT at work.

5. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

7. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

Netgear routers are fine routers. I've been running one for 3 years without any problems.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

never had one that works and never came across one that didnt have problems. so consider yourself one of the few!!

9. schreck macrumors regular

There are always exceptions to the rule. Without real empirical data, it's impossible to determine which one of you two is one of the few.

That said, I've personally seen very few issues with Netgear routers (in my limited tech experience). Any of our experiences could very well have been exceptions to a disparate rule.

10. crewrules101 macrumors member

I always use an airport base station. They have always worked well for my computers, both mac and PeeCee... Although they are a little pricey, they allow you to add in USB hard drives or printers.

Cheers

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

haha yea i hear ya. i'll go my way you go your way.;) but im glad they work for you.

12. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I have a Netgear router that is 5-6 years old, and I wouldn't buy one again. Maybe it is just its age, but it has really limited features. The configuration software is fairly basic, and I cannot configure how it logs stuff or anything advanced. They are selling newer versions under the same model number (I have version 1 before it was even called version 1, and now they are on version 9!) but feature-wise they are not much better except for WPA2 support (still no gigabit ethernet). The latest firmware (from 2004) has WPA support, but if I try to enable it, it brings the network to a crawl. Also, the router does not handle heavy traffic like Bittorrent well, and tends to slow down if there are too many connections.

If anyone wants a really reliable router, I'll trade my old Netgear WGR614 for a Linksys WRT54GL any day. :)

13. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I grabbed an Airport Extreme (previous version) off eBay a month or so ago for $90, and it has worked like a charm since. I have Boot Camp and it works great for that too. Depending on how much you are willing to spend, I would do this. Whatever you do, do not get the relatively new Linksys N routers. I went through 4 of them, and had a bitch of a time dealing with customer service. For some reason, it didn't work well at all with my White Macbook-the wireless was soooo slow.

14. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

i use the D-Link DIR-825 Xtreme N QoS 4-Port Gigabit Switch Simultaneous Dual Band Draft 802.11n. it works great on both my macs and my one windows machine

15. Scippy macrumors regular

I use the older AirPort Express, and I'm happy to say that i've had no problems.
    On the other hand, my old neighbors, had a linksys, and they had loads of problems with it.

16. ohaooa macrumors newbie

Thank you. Descriptive, unbiased and altogether helpful.