Need a Router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TDPHunter, Jun 12, 2007.

1. TDPHunter macrumors member

TDPHunter

Hey everyone,

I am searching for a router that will do the job for under 40$. If anyone has any good suggestions, please let me know.

This router will also be used on a Windows Machine with XP.

Thanks in advance,
    -Jake

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Why do you need a router?

No a rhetorical question. Your answer is needed before anyone can give informed advice. Otherwise all you will get is answers like "I have X. X works for me."

3. TDPHunter thread starter macrumors member

TDPHunter

Well my friend, she can't use her dad's router at night. so she wants one that she can hide in her room for personal use, via webcam me and talk on chat.

anything else needed?

4. jawzzy macrumors regular

Hmmm... Hehe. :D

5. TDPHunter thread starter macrumors member

TDPHunter

I knew someone would take it that way, But its not. We just enjoy being able to see each other. But, as stated before...

The router will need to be strong enough for a webcam session and under 40$.

6. jawzzy macrumors regular

Haha...gettin' a little sesh goin? Does it need to be wireless?

7. TDPHunter thread starter macrumors member

TDPHunter

Well, a cord would be more obvious then not having a wire at all.

8. jawzzy macrumors regular

I'm not sure if its what you're looking for, but there are a couple good wireless routers from Linksys and Netgear for under $40 (I'm pretty sure.) Some people swaer by one or the other and swear never to touch the brand they never like. You should be fine with either one. Wireless G is probably all you need.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Based on your statements I am rather confused thus far.

How will having a router in her room help her? I assume that her dad's router is connected to a DSL or Cable Modem. If so having a router in her room would be useless, without a connection to her parents internet connection.

Does she intend to move their modem into her room or will she have her own internet connection? If the modem is located elsewhere in the house with her fathers router currently attached to it you would either need to replace his router with a wireless one, since I assume it is wired only, or connect a wireless access point to her fathers router. With either option her computer would need a wireless card.