Need a search program. Please help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tech0925, May 14, 2011.

1. tech0925 macrumors member

tech0925

I am a web designer and when I need to find something in my files it can be rather difficult. Lets say I want to find where the variable $example is defined and used, I don't want to have to open 100 php files and manually search for it in each one. Instead I would like something that could return these results without having to open the files. I am looking for some type of function like spotlight but that will search inside of closed documents as well.

Do you know of anything like this? Is this even available?

Thank you!!!

2. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Can't you just open a finder window, set it to search file contents, and type in $example?

3. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

Thanks for this tip. How do i set it to search file contents? I don't see this option in the finder window preferences or the spotlight preferences..

To the other comment, thanks for pointing out grep. I will try MythicFrost's advice first if I can figure out where to set this option.

Thanks all

4. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hey, no worries.

Once you've opened a plain Finder window, type $example in the top right and then a small bar should appear underneath it that expands the width of the window, and you should have an option to search in "Title", "Contents", etc.

Let me know if it doesn't I'll check again for you and show a screenshot if necessary.

Cheers