Need a separate app like contacts.app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ReidStylez, Apr 5, 2011.

1. ReidStylez macrumors member

Needing to store contact information and some info separate from contacts.app for work. Is there a free one that syncs with itunes?

2. vettori macrumors 6502a

iTunes syncs with the device shared address book database. This means that you'll find the synced contacts in Apple Contacts and any other app that uses the same database (such as our ABContacts app).

To keep a separate set of contacts you can't sync with iTunes.
    If you explain me a little more why you want to keep the contacts separate and what you "expect" from keeping the contacts separate I may try to give you some suggestions.

3. ReidStylez thread starter macrumors member

Basically this is for my dad. He's not too tech savy and has been using an old Sharp Organizer for his patients information. He wants to have that on his iphone now and doesn't want it with his regular contacts.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Can't he just create two groups in contacts, regular and patients?

5. vettori macrumors 6502a

If you don't need to keep the contact information "private" then you can
    - create different groups, or
    - use different sources

Depending on how you're already syncing contacts you can or can't use the second option. To help going further, it also would be helpful to know where the patients information is stored.

If you want to keep the patients information private, i.e. patients don't appear in any app apart the contact manager, then I suggest you to use a database-like app (not sure but Bento for example should be ok provided you DON'T use the contacts database that is synced to the address book).

6. ReidStylez thread starter macrumors member

Information doesn't need to be private. If he could use spotlight to search for the contact that'd be good as well.

Is it possible to add a different group in contact.app while on the phone or does it have to be done on the computer?

7. ReidStylez thread starter macrumors member

Looking at Bento it looks pretty good. Looks like you can add voice memos to contacts too which would be nice for him. Can contacts on here be searched using spotlight?

8. vettori macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't know how Bento works with searches and groups but to create groups on the phone and search contacts on many more fields than spotlight (and do a lot of other things) you can use our app ABContacts. ;) More on http://www.redbits.com.