Need a suggestion 13" or 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cathy88, Apr 14, 2010.

1. cathy88 macrumors member

Im currently a university student studying Mechatronics Engineering. My main purpose or need is hardware and software programing. This is based alot on C and C++ programing. Also ocasionally I use Solid Works to make the models that I am building but nothing too complex.

Apart from that, I would just be using this to write report, surf nets the common use.

I know for programing and common use Macbook Pro 13" would be more then enough, but I have not ran Solid Works on Macs before as I never bothered doing boot camp or vmware/parallel before.

I currently havei7 imac27" so anything heavy would be done at home, or lets say I would most likely not even use the laptop at home.

I also have Macbook Pro 13" 2.26ghz model which is almost a year old as I purchased on release day.

My plan is to sell it and upgrade to either a new Macbook Pro 13" or 15". You might ask why sell it if thats more then enough for what I do? I do find 2gb ram not enough and would cost 200NZD here to get 2x2gb. My macbook pro would be sold for 1600 and can buy a 13" new macbook pro for 1800NZD student price if i wanted.

Why 15" then? I found 13" way too small for me that is the only problem. Here in NZ Macbook Pro 13" cost 1800NZD and Macbook Pro 15" cost 2899NZD Im debating which I should buy. It just doesnt feel good for myself to buy core 2 duo when they are like quite old and resell value in next 1-3 years would be crap. Im looking at keeping this new laptop for 2-3 years atleast. Is it worth for me to get 15" base model or pay extra for better upgrade to next i5 or even next i7.

It feels weird cause Im sure there wont be more then 5% difference between 2.4ghz and 2.53ghz or maybe even less then that. However what about i5 2.4 ghz to i7 2.66ghz how much difference are there? I think I wouldnt buy the model in between as .53 ghz is not worth 350 dollars to me. Then again 600 dollars is not worth upgrading to i7 for me specially when its only duo core? Should I just stick to base 15" model or 13" model?

Overall here are the NZD prices
    Macbook Pro 13" 1800NZD
    Macbook Pro 15" i5 2.4ghz 2899NZD
    Macbook Pro 15" i5 2.53ghz 3249NZD
    Macbook Pro 15" i7 2.66ghz 3499NZD

2. brandonb123 macrumors newbie

Hi Cathy,

I am currently in my third year of Mech engineering at university. I have an 07blackbook, 2 GB ram and can tell you from experience that Solid Works will run fine on the computer. It needs to be able to run windows, I do it through boot camp and it works fine but have never tried through VM.

Unfortunatly, I am in the same boat when it comes to the 13" and 15". To me the 13" is a great size but I don't know about paying top dollar for technology that is second best. :(

3. rob2809 macrumors newbie

Same here but if it is only the CPU that bothers you...it would be really crazy to buy to huge pricepremium for the 15" only for its i5 cpu.