Need a UPS for my Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fairnymph, Jun 27, 2007.

1. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

I need to get a UPS for my MP because the power regularly goes out for short periods in my area.

I have very little knowledge about UPSs and don't know what sort of specs I should be looking for, where the best place to buy them is, etc.

Also, is there a way for me to set up some sort of script or app that will safely shut down my computer when the power goes out and the UPS kicks in (since I don't want to pay for a UPS that will power my MP for a long time)? In case I'm away for the weekend when the power goes out.

I virtually always leave my computer on because I download alot of (legal, of course) stuff constantly.

2. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I use these Belkin units with our Mac Pro's here in the UK: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=1893

They provide plenty of power for both my Mac Pro and 30" ACD, maybe 10 minutes or so, and work via USB with OS X without installing any drivers; just configure what you want to happen in Energy Saver, including shutting down when x% of UPS is remaining.

V. cool :D