Need a USB Device that stops computer from locking

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by imac abuser, Nov 27, 2008.

1. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

Hello,
    I know this may not be the best place, but I'm in desperate need of help. I have a work laptop that auto locks after 15 min of inactivity. I work from home a lot, and need something to prevent this that's not traceable by my IT Dept. I use a WIN XP machine, but would like it to work for my Mac (if possible). I know I've seen one out there, but can't remember where I found it. It's driving me crazy...

2. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

why not just set it to not lock?

3. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

It's not an option IT has locked that it's all greyed out

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If it's just locking, that's not really a big deal, and they probably set it up like that for a reason. If it logs you out OTOH, that's a pain in the ass.

At any rate, if you run a movie or something in the background, the system should not lock, no?

5. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

ah that's a good idea maybe I will try and run a quicktime movie on a loop

6. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

So for security reasons your company has set it to lock to protect sensitive information? This is no doubt a top-down order mandated by your line manager or their boss.

Don't blame IT, it's the corporate (or military or goverment) policy that has set it.

Oh well, a bit of anarchism helps the world to go round. You could always buy a mouse jiggler

http://www.google.co.uk/search?ie=UTF-8&q=mouse+jiggler

They're used in computer forensics to stop computers taken in police raids from locking and aren't too expensive.

7. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

your the man that's exactly what I wanted couldn't remember the name not trying to beat any system just need to be ready to go when the phone rings